GM Rear End Differences

To all the GM gurus:

Thanks again for the help you guys have been in the past!! Now I need to replace the rear end in my 95 GMC 3/4 ton van. The stock unit is a 10 bolt semi-floating and had the axel tubes destroyed by the bearings failing. I have been told the 12 bolt is a better rear end and I would like to know the specifics. I have an older (1980) 12 bolt on hand and it has a pinion flange (companion) which is smaller than the stock 10 bolt. This seems to me to indicate a weaker unit. Is this the case? I understand the 10 bolt companion flange will not work with the 12 bolt. Why not? I can modify my shaft pretty easily to work with the 12 bolt. Is it worth it? Should I stay with the stock 10 bolt?

TIA Greg

Reply to
greg