GM safari

Does anyone know if the 98 GM Safari with the 4.3litre 6cyl engine, uses a timing chain or belt ?

Thanks, BMC

Reply to
Brian Colwell

Chain...

I don't know of any pushrod engines that use a belt, they're either chain or gear driven. Only engines I know of that have belts are OHC. But, this being usenet, I'm sure no one will hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong...

Reply to
asdf

Thanks for the information, I am hoping its a chain, I did hear that if the timing cover is metal it would a chain and if it was plastic, it would be a belt drive ! Not sure if this correct or not

Thanks again, BMC

Reply to
Brian Colwell

|Does anyone know if the 98 GM Safari with the 4.3litre 6cyl engine, uses a |timing chain or belt ?

That 4.3L GM is little more than a 350 chevrolet V8 with 2 cylinders cut out of it. Parts are otherwise common, including the timing chain and gears.|

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Thanks Rex, for the information.

BMC

Reply to
Brian Colwell

Back when the 4.3 first came out I seem to recall it using the same rods, pistons, main and rod bearings, lifters, timing set, oil pump, rocker arms, pushrods, most fasteners, timing cover, water pump, and other odds and ends. Pretty much the only different parts were the long parts like the cam, crank, etc. I'm sure the paths of the two engines have diverged quite a bit over the years, though.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

|shiden_kai wrote: |> |> "Rex B" wrote |> |> > That 4.3L GM is little more than a 350 chevrolet V8 with 2 cylinders cut |> out of |> > it. Parts are otherwise common, including the timing chain and gears.| |> |> You would probably be surprised how little the two engines |> have in common. |> | |Back when the 4.3 first came out I seem to recall it |using the same rods, pistons, main and rod bearings, |lifters, timing set, oil pump, rocker arms, pushrods, |most fasteners, timing cover, water pump, and other |odds and ends. Pretty much the only different parts |were the long parts like the cam, crank, etc. I'm |sure the paths of the two engines have diverged quite |a bit over the years, though. | |JazzMan

I'm sure that's true. The last 4.3 I owned was a '92 Astro. The prior one was a 1985 Astro. that one was very close to the 5.7 roots. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

"JazzMan" wrote

It's quite a bit different ever since they installed the balance shaft and went to roller lifters. Even simple things like the valve covers are completely different from the v-8. The way the roller lifters are retained is different. The distributor and the way it's retained and aligned is different. Lots of differences.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

| |It's quite a bit different ever since they installed |the balance shaft and went to roller lifters. Even |simple things like the valve covers are completely |different from the v-8.

Let me guess: They are 25% shorter?

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

"Rex B" wrote

Rex....all your question points out is that you really do not know that much about the 4.3 engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

| |"Rex B" wrote | |> Let me guess: They are 25% shorter? | |Rex....all your question points out is that |you really do not know that much about |the 4.3 engine. | |Ian

It wasn't a question, just a smart-aleck retort. Forgot the :)

But I have had 2 vehicles with these engines, and sold parts for many of them. I realize that the original design, which was very close to the V8, has diverged as each engine evolved. I have little knowledge about those used in the last few years. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B