*good* mag wheel hdwe.?

Posted elsewhere but no replies, so I'm trying here...

Who makes good mag wheel hardware? I'm going to be mounting some old slots on my Studebaker soon and the car sits outside. Seems to me I've seen more than one car with rusty lug nuts and washers. Who makes

*good* ones that don't rust?

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

When I changed wheels on the stang I bought a new set of lock lugs from the OEM manufacturer. Mcgard... carried at the tree stooges (pep boys). they make regular lug nuts too. They've held up well outside. Better than the lugnuts tirerack sent me with the wheels, although those haven't been too bad either, just a little chrome chipping where it can't be seen. The lock lugs are perfect.

Anyway if your local stooges store is stocked half way decent, (I had to goto two or three of em to find something other than an empty hook) you can get them easily ;)

Reply to
Brent P

Thanks, you even answered a couple questions I didn't ask :) I was considering buying my tires from tire rack as they have a recommended installer just a few miles from me (Goss' Garage - yes that one - is apparently less than 3 miles from my house. Who knew?) unless I can get a good deal locally. Looks like I'll have at least two wheels with unilugs, so I'm probably going to have to hit 4 or 5 stores to get all the washers... :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've bought 4 sets of tires from tirerack. Great each time. One set I bought with the wheels. After I totalled everything up it was cheaper for me to pay a few extra bucks for the wheels at tirerack because they threw in mounting and balancing along with lugnuts for free.

You might want to call the local installers ahead of time. My brother didn't and found the ones around him charged alot. The day he helped me move we took his car to the one I use.

I hate those... my mav has those slotted wheels. dreaded previous owner. I need to replace them just because they are a pain in the ass to deal with.

Reply to
Brent P

5 lug? if they're ansen sprints or ET IVs drop me a line. I'm looking for something old school, but not the torq-thrusts everyone has (don't get me wrong, I like torq-thrusts, but want something different.) I'd really like to have a set of Halibrands but there's just one problem...

I thought I had a set of ET IVs locked up, but got sniped with less than 10 seconds to go... GRR!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

They're 5 lug, but aren't anything special just some old superiors. One of which is bent and not on the car. The replacement isn't exactly the same and isn't slotted either. I bought new centercaps so they look decent, cept for the replacement wheel which I got sick of chrome polishing the rust off of so I just painted it.

I need to find some decent 14x6 rims, but I figure I'll take care of the paint job before I buy new wheels....

Reply to
Brent P

I got some plain steelies for ya for free if you come out this way. Ford logo on 'em and everything. (came off a '58 Golden Hawk, PO had put them on so as to run radials - the stock rims were 4.5" wide and made of thin metal.) I'll be running a pair on the front of my Daytona if I don't win the wheels I want on eBay (auction running right now) otherwise they're not being used for anything... get some dog dishes for the sleeper look :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel