Government Motors plans demise of SAAB brand

SAAB builds some other things, such as Aircraft. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Hasn't been the same SAAB that does that for many years, although they tried to pretend otherwise in some of their ads a few years ago. Like many things, the brand name often has little to do with who currently owns the company. Car division got split off 15-20 years ago.

Reply to
aemeijers

Hasn't been the same SAAB that does that for many years, although they tried to pretend otherwise in some of their ads a few years ago. Like many things, the brand name often has little to do with who currently owns the company. Car division got split off 15-20 years ago.

****** Well, the older SAAB made some damn fine cars, and some Viggen fighter planes that were not too sloppy.

After GM took over, I felt SAAB was pimped out. SAAB has had money trouble for a long time, but some of the earlier SAABs were really nice.

GM could put a rotten apple into any barrel.

Reply to
hls

aemeijers wrote in news:180def00-5067-4c26-8a82- snipped-for-privacy@k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

I notice some of their ads still show Saab airplanes in them even though the aviation division was split off years ago. Just a bit misleading.

Rolls Royce has been more honest. The jet engine division is a completely separate company from the company that used to make frumpy cars with Parthenon grilles on them, but neither half makes reference to the other in any of its advertising.

Did you know Rolls Royce also makes a large number of the natural gas "peaker plant" power-generation-station engines? They're very similar to aircraft jets, but a lot bigger.

Reply to
Tegger

But, yesterday on local tv news, I heard that some other auto company is wheeling and dealing with SAAB.I was in my bathroom at the time, I didn't quite make out everything the tv news reporter lady said about that.

Back in the late 1970s, there was a small used car lot near me.They had a SAAB car on the lot for sale.It was one of those funny looking SAAB cars.I stopped and I looked it over, they were asking about $700.00 for the car.I didn't buy it though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In the state I live in, there are one or two Rolls Royce factories.One of them has something to do with building turbines for generators, I think.The other one builds propellars for ships. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Old SAAB Cars

China to start building old SAAB cars.

I guess old SAABs will never die. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You probably saw the one shaped like an armadillo. Some of those early ones had a three cylinder two stoke cycle engine. They looked unusually but made their way through snow and ice very well.

The one I owned was a SAAB 900, late 80's model. It was a great car, excellent ride, handled snow and ice very well. The looks were not as strange as the earlier ones, and actually "grew" on me. Some cars, like the last model Thunderbird, looked pretty good to me at first sight, but then the ugly came out.

Reply to
hls

I believe it was a three cylinder SAAB that I saw at that used car lot. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

"hls" wrote in news:fo6dnQQCdfaD5bLWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The first ones did. But US emission regulations eventually made Saab replace the 3-cylinder with a British-made Ford V4.

Reply to
Tegger

If it was one of the 2-cycle models, you should have got it. They are some of the most fun cars I have ever driven.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

That SAAB car I looked at, it was spick and span clean looking, inside and out, it was a red color car.Sometimes, I think/wish I should have bought that car, I could have paid cash on the barrell head right there, on the spot.

Volvo once built at least one experimental electric/vapor gas four cylinder engine.It was fixed up so that electricity and the vapor gas (whatever kind of gas they used?) made the engine run.I have looked for something about that particular engine on the web several times before over the years, but I haven't found an article about it on the web yet.I do have a paper magazine article about it somewhere around here, it would take me forever to find it though,,, my house is a mess! I think the article dates back to the 1970s. cuhulin ................................................... That will be cashhhhhhh,,,,, on the barrellhead son,,,, this old Greyhoundddd gets paid to runnnnnnn,,,,,, ...................................................

Reply to
cuhulin

On the web, Spyker Cars renews bid to buy SAAB from GM

I read an article about that yesterday in the local newspaper online.

Dutch Auto maker Spyker.

I didn't know untill yesterday that Spyker is still in business. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

This perhaps?

AMuzi

It was actually a german V4, the same engine that was used in the Ford Taunus. The british Ford V4 was different. I doubt that it was US emissions that made SAAB switch, more like customer demand. The V4 came around 1967.

My first car was a 1966 triple carb three cylinder 850cc two stroke, which originally had a whopping 42 bhp.

Later I had a 1969 V4, and a few 99:s. My last SAAB was a fuel injected 1979 99 GLE, which was a nice car, apart from the rust.

After having borrowed my boss 1985 audi 100cc one lunch I realized what I was missing and have been driving audis since then ;-)

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

I think it was a SAAB 93 or perhaps a SAAB 96, 3 cylinders.The car had something similar to a roll up/roll down window shade between the rear of the grill and the front of the engine.I think that was for helping the engine warm up in very cold weather.I am not saying the car was oddball, but I have always liked oddball vehicles.

Somebody mentioned Audi, my January 2010 snail mail Popular Science magazine has an article about Audi electric cars that Audi will be building and selling in the marketplace. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Thomas Tornblom wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Hax.SE:

That's what I read in an article in one of the big car magazines. Might have been Hemming's Motor News. They probably did say "German" in the article and I'm just not remembering that.

Apparently the 2-stroke made too much HC emissions. HC was the first target of the emissions controllers, and the first controls were introduced in the US around 1967-1968. Automakers had several years to prepare for the new regulations, which makes a '67-'68 launch of the V4 perfectly-timed.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:29129-4B302E42-3968@storefull-

3172.bay.webtv.net:

It's not the same company as that which existed in Holland in the early

20th century.

It's more like Maybach or Bugatti, where completely unrelated companies are capitalizing on a historic name.

Excerpt from the Spyker site's history page: "In 1925, the Spyker Company ceased trading, but its name has never been forgotten. Spyker became an icon, a brand name that stands for technologically advanced, exotic and dependable cars. That heritage has been passed over to the new Spyker company and its cars..."

Reply to
Tegger

The 85 Audi 100 had considerably more engine than 100cc. It used a 2.1 liter straight 5, 136 bhp.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Hehe, yes, it was a 2.3l straight 5. The model was 100CC, which I believe was called 5000 in the US.

The engine was basically the same as the 2.2l turbo used in the quattros. It had a slightly smaller bore and lower compression.

I've had several turbo quattros since then, and a 2.5l five cylinder diesel, ad 180bhp 2.5l V6 diesel, which one of my sons totalled, and I now have an old 2.8l 30V (5 valves per cylinder) V6 a6 quattro.

I really, really miss that V6 diesel. Too bad the Swedish road tax is

3x for diesels, and I don't drive much now.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom