Grand AM vs Century vs Malibu

I look for a used car. All 3 have extreme bad resale values after 1 year use, so they are good deals in used car market.

Anyone drove them willing to share share your feelings about them? Like quality, ride, gas milage?

What I feel so far is that GrandAM's body design wasted a lot of space, so it is big outside and small inside. Century looks like only old people drive it. That leaves Malibu the one without any drawback.

Reply to
OttawaTrade

Actually I have driven all three. The Malibu was a nice driver but on hearing problems with them from owners I would steer clear. I would agree with you about the Grand AM. The Century is actually pretty nice, a Buick Camry in my opinion. Get over what others think (it doesn't matter. The Century is one of the most reliable cars on the road.

Reply to
Dave

I would buy whichever model has the 3800 engine. the smaller GM V6 engines are complete s**te IMHO while the 3800 is quite good.

The Century is a much older design than any of the other cars you mentioned, which is good and bad. Refinement is not up there, but they've had quite a few years to get the bugs worked out meaning that a late Century is probably a good buy in terms of reliable transportation for your dollar (again, assuming a 3800 engine.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
Shep

That is probably a good point, Nate.. The 3800 is likely more dependable than the other GM V6's even though the generation II will likely give you the plenum failure.

Reply to
<HLS

I did test drives on all 3 models today. Here is the comparison.

Century, too little power from v6 for its big body. It has no way to pass any car on street. Malibu, ride too hard. v6 is powerful. dash board is too abnormal. Grand AM, engine not as strong as Malibu, but enough. All controls are facing driver, so very easy to control them without moving your body. drives are good. seats are soft and relaxed.

Finally I will go with Grand AM. Rental returns with 1 year old will cost $12.5K canadian or $11.5K US. A discount of 1/2 or 2/3 of its original price. Very good deal!

Reply to
OttawaTrade

The Century is only available with the 3400 V6 but still scores extremely high in reliability.

Reply to
Masospaghetti

how come you do not look into the impala ?

Reply to
J Oat

Buick gets the higher quality ratings of the three. I once owned a 2003 Malibu LS (bought it new). It was a real POS car, dumped in after

9-months. Personally I wouldn't touch the Malibu even if it were free (except maybe to make a couple of bucks selling it).
Reply to
jcr

Bigger car, more power (with the 3800), better EPA mileage (for some reason, even with the 3800). Good question. The neighbor has one and likes it.

Reply to
jcr

Apparently *despite* the 3.4 boat anchor. Well, at least it's got good power when it's running.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish