Gremlins in the Gauges

Just bought a 1998 3.0L Plymouth Voyager. The gas gauge showed that the tank was about 1/4 full, so I went to the gas station and filled up the tank. When I restarted the car, the gas gauge registered dead empty and the Low Fuel warning light came on and the dash alarm dinged once. After a short drive, I stopped and parked the car. On restarting the car, the gas guage read full, and all appeared normal. But... when I started to drive, the Low Fuel warning light came on and the alarm dinged once... then this happened again, and again, and again. Every couple of blocks, the light comes on and the alarm dings once. After driving enough to reduce the gas to about 3/4 thank, the light and alarm stopped. What the #$%^& is going on?? Kit

Reply to
kit

sounds to me like there is a dead spot on the little resistance film in your fuel level sender, depending on how difficult it is to get to and how expensive it is, you may want to just replace it, or else pull it and slap a multimeter on it and see if the resistance changes smoothly as you move the float through its full range. I am pretty sure you will find that this is your problem.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

I had something similar happen to my old Chev Celebrity. After only being able to afford 1/2 tank of gas at a time, I filled it up one day and the gauge would go back and forth from full to empty at random. It cleared up after a while, I assumed it was just that that area of the gauge sensor hadn't seen contact in a while and had gotten a littly dirty.

Your problem may clear up after a few fillups.

Reply to
JM

Your problem could also be in the float itself. The float is a small plastic or brass bubble in the tank. They sometimes leak, fill up with gas and then just move around up and down changing what your gauge says. Either way, you need to pull the unit out of the tank to test it.

Reply to
osbornauto