gti vr6 starts, then shuts off. Help please?

I have a 2003 GTI VR6, with about 32k miles on it. My question is about the startup. When I go to start my car, sometimes it will turn on, then the rpms will go down, until eventually the car turns off, it will do this over and over, and usually if i give it a little gas it will be fine.. at least every time I have it seems to work just great. It doesnt happen all the time, so Im not sure what it could be. My guess would be either the fuel pump or spark plugs... any other suggestions or ideas? is there a way I can check it myself? Thanks in advance

Reply to
fenixtx112

your alternator is putting out? You should see 14 something volts dc at your battery terminals IF your alternator is working correctly.

This is the first thing you check, before going off on a wild goose chase.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

" When I go to start my car, sometimes it will turn on, then the rpms will go down, until eventually the car turns off, it will do this over and over, and usually if i give it a little gas it will be fine.. at least every time I have it seems to work just great. It doesnt happen all the time, so Im not sure what it could be. My guess would be either the fuel pump or spark plugs... any other suggestions or ideas? is there a way I can check it myself? Thanks in advance "

Is it misfiring? Based on what you have written here it sounds like a fuel delivery problem, which would not be affected by changing the spark plugs. Could be a fuel-pump relay that is not latching to the on position after the engine starts. Usually the ECM will command the fuel pump relay on when the ignition switch is in the start position and then rely on getting a signal from some other sensor to keep the pump on. If it shuts off the car may run for a few seconds and then lose power and gradually shut down.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000