H or V Rating On Tires ?

Hello,

A general question re the H or V speed rating on passenger "all season" tires:

Everything else remaining the same,is there any difference in snow conditions, or on ice, for one rating over the other ?

e.g., might the different compound in one be softer, and thus "a bit" better on snow or ice ?

And, is the H or V for a tire usually embossed on the sidewall ? Is there some code for, or is an actual H or V there (or somewhere) ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

It's a speed rating.

From ehow.com:

History

The letters "H" and "V" represent speed ratings. Speed ratings originated in Germany in the early 1980s to give consumers information on how fast they could safely use the tires on the autobahn. Passenger speed ratings are designated L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, U and H, stepping in rated speed from 120 kilometers per hour up to 210 kph. V rating is the next step for speeds up to 240 kph. Z, W and Y are ratings for speeds over 240 kph. The rating is the speed the tire has been tested to for continuous safe driving. The English equivalent speed for H- rated tires is 130 mph and V-rated tires are good for up to 149 mph.

Types

There are two ways the speed rating will be indicated on the tire sidewall. The older method puts the speed rating next to the "R" for radial in the size. For example, 225/50HR16 would be an H-rated tire and 225/50VR16 would be the same size tire except V-rated. The current standard for tire size and information looks like P215/60R15 89H, where the 89 is the tire load capacity and the H indicates the speed rating.

Read more: H Vs. V Rated Tires | eHow.com

m6onz5a

Bob wrote in news:k5heoo$76s$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

If you decide to post to more than one group, please let others know in each group that you've "multiposted". A simple sentence saying so would suffice.

I just got done posting an informative reply to your identical post in alt- autos.honda.

Reply to
Tegger

I would vote for the lower speed version for snow. I had a set of v tires, got barely over 10k miles out of them. They are stiffer than H. You must get all 4 the same speed rating. The old euro stamp was simple, then us made it difficult. So if you look, somewhere you should find the speed rating. Also look for the milage/ temp / traction stamp.

I had 195VR70/14 Michelin XWX used on ferrari at the time. Aggressive looking tread. I drove them in the snow, did ok.

Greg

Reply to
gregz