half-shaft replacement, ATF loss? ('04 Cavalier)

Our '04 Cavalier automatic has what sounds like a failing CV joint. This car does not have a dipstick for the ATF - you check the level by removing a plug on the side of the case.

Just to be prepared, I'd like an idea of how much ATF I'll lose when I pull the shaft out. (Passenger side, if it matters.) And, would it help to have that side of the car higher, when I pull it?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

I don't know, and definitely.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Given that the fluid level control plug would appear to be below that of the propshaft (if the below diagrams accurately depict your application), the loss should be nearly negligible.

"Couldn't hoit" ;^)

Reply to
Heron

you sure got that right.

< and definitely.

freakin' waste of electrons.

Reply to
jim beam

it depends on the vehicle and how much is already in there, but many will lose little if any fluid if you jack it up on one side with a good angle on it. the diff part of a transmission is usually filled to just above the seal bottom, so yes, if you tilt the fluid away from the hole, you minimize loss substantially.

Reply to
jim beam

Sorry, did you have something to contribute?

I haven't worked on a Cavalier since before the OP's car was built. So I don't know how much fluid he's going to use. However jacking up the side he's working on is definitely a good idea.

Are you going to argue with the above advice, or are you just bloviating again? when was the last time you picked up a wrench?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I replaced both shafts on a 4t40 Pontiac g6 a while back. Very little oil came out of the holes. Consider replacing the seal at the same time.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Unless there is pre-existing evidence of leakage, damage, or excessive hardening, you likely need not undertake the unnecessary extra work nor additional expense of rote seal replacement as, unlike replacing the rear crank, input shaft or converter seals, (when engine and trans, respectively, are separated), an R&R of the propshaft isn't a sufficiently labor intensive procedure to warrant that type of insurance, particularly with a relatively lower stressed component such as an inboard (as opposed to an outboard) cv joint.

Reply to
Heron

specifically for you nate:

fast forward to table 11.

ps. how's that killfile working out for ya?

Reply to
jim beam

yes, I think you should sign up since you apparently have the reading comprehension and attention span of a 3 year old.

Now go f*ck off until you have some content to contribute.

Reply to
N8N