Have DTC's - now what...

Hello all,

Took the '99 Ford Windstar ( 69k miles ) in for transmission service at a well respected, local independant shop. During service, they ran the scan tool and reported two trouble codes unrelated to the transmission.

Codes are PO171 and PO174.

My Haynes manual decodes them as:

PO171 = "System Adaptive fuel too lean (Bank 1)" PO174 = "System Adaptive fuel too lean (Bank 2)"

and if I'm reading

Ford 3-digit DTC's correctly, I get:

171 = "Oxygen sensor not switching - system was at adaptive limits - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control" 174 = "Oxygen sensor was slow in switching - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control"

If the Haynes manual is to be believed, there are 4 HO2S's, 2 for each bank, 1 upstream (in the converter) and 1 downstream. Haynes gives details on how to backprobe and look for 100-900 mV varying signals.

I've been unable to find any info yet in my Ford Factory Service manual for this issue or these codes, but they are thick and sometimes not intuitive to me...

Drivability is good, although we have noticed some knocking under load of late. Gas mileage is a bit low, but not noticably different than before the codes were reported.

Should I just jump in and probe the sensors? Can one typically purchase or borrow the "special tool" for their removal and installation? Or is there another place I should be looking? Also, how important is it to clear the codes and look for a re-appearance to insure that these aren't just anomalous? We have no "check engine" light, etc.

As always, any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Powell in Florida

Reply to
Powell E. Barber

You have a situation that is causing both banks of the engine to run lean, this would make looking at common denominators the prudent thing to do. Knowing as I do, the pattern failures of late model Ford EFI systems, the first step I would take would be to clean the mass airflow sensor.

Very common problem.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Look for possible intake manifold gasket leak. Causes lean running conditions and will typically set P0171 and P0174.

Also possible that intake manifold itself will need to be replaced.

Do a google search for P0171 and Windstar to find more information. First link I found was

Powell E. Barber wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke