head re-placement

I need help someone! I have an '84 Dodge 600 convertible with a 2.2 liter engine. I need to replace or at least remove, repair, and replace the head. Where do I start and what do I need to remove as I go? I have tools, and am somewhat mechanically inclined as I do work on motorcycles but no usually cars.

Reply to
silent_angel

You should start by getting a good service and repair manual. It will have all the information you need to accomplish the task and if you run into a problem you can post here for help with resolving it. You can search google for many available resources, For instance this might be a good one:

good luck with your project.

Reply to
Kevin

You're going to need a torque wrench and of course the head torque specs! You're going to want to mark all the vacuum connectors. I'd remove the hood before you begin - Although perhaps is not a requirement! If you have a digital cam - might be a good idea to shoot a few shots of the engine compartment before dismantling! After the head has been removed! You'll need to send the head in for machining, crack check or whatever the head needs i.e. valve work or?

Reinstalling: you're going to need a head gasket set! Make sure that you follow the proper bolt tightening/torque sequence!

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

Try to find a hot rod book about the Chrysler 4-cylinder because hot rod books tend to be written very clearly and give greatly detailed information, yet they're also more advanced than typical repair manuals.

I believe you'll need new head bolts for this particular engine. If they're not included with the replacement head, get them from NAPA or a Chrysler dealer.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Reply to
rick