headlight wiring problem

hi i have a 1993 chevy dually ,when i put on my park lights or headlights ,the fuse for that curcuit heats up ,an gets to a point when on a long drive it melts the plastic off the fuse ,but i will not blow the fuse ,so if anyone can help me with this problem it would be great thank you

Reply to
sunshine

That's a little weird. I'd first get an ammeter and measure the current going through the fuse... see if it's within what the manual says it should be.

If it is, I'd check the fuse box itself for a corroded connection to the fuseholder or for a damaged fuseholder.

If it's not, I'd start disconnecting stuff right and left to try and see where thet current is going.

You don't have any wacky aftermarket headlight retrofit, do you?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I would be looking for corrosion which can cause arcing which can produce melting heat without 'blowing' the fuse.

I would check the sockets for the fuse first with a strong light.

Second I would be pulling the plug off the headlight switch expecting to find melt damage there because this connection seems to be the one that corrodes and causes the melt down trouble on just about every old GM I have owned and it does the same damn thing on the Jeeps that use that GM switch. The last brand new one I put into my Jeep lasted about 6 years then melted. It also melts the fuse.

And last the old style floor dimmer switches would corrode causing heat build up and fuse melt.

Mike

Mike Romain