Heavy-duty trailer wiring blinker question

I put a hitch on my '92 Dodge Shadow, wired up a harness, everything works, but it's obvious that the blinker (solenoid?) is badly underpowered (dim lights, slow blink).

I've been Googling all over the place, but can't seem to find a site that will give me the part number of specs to look for in a heavy-duty replacement that will fit my car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Walk into Schlep Boyz or Autobone. Go to the electrical aisle. Pick a "heavy duty" flasher that has the same number of terminals as your stock one (2 or 3- most Chrysler products use the 2-terminal type) Get an electronic one if you want a nice loud click and rock-solid blink rate and don't mind paying 3x the cost. Enjoy.

Reply to
Steve

Well, no. You have two problems here. You've got significant voltage drop (dim lights) and your flasher unit is not working right because it's being asked to flash more bulbs than it was intended to handle (improper flash rate).

First, get an electronic flasher, such as a Tridon EL-12C. This will solve the second problem. Then, rework your harness connection so you're not trying to drag triple current through the entire length of the vehicle's original wiring harness.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

|I put a hitch on my '92 Dodge Shadow, wired up a harness, everything |works, but it's obvious that the blinker (solenoid?) is badly |underpowered (dim lights, slow blink). | |I've been Googling all over the place, but can't seem to find a site |that will give me the part number of specs to look for in a heavy-duty |replacement that will fit my car. | |Any suggestions? | |Thanks |Mike

I suggest you are thinking way too much!

Just go down to the local parts store and buy a Heavy Duty/Variable Load flasher for your car. If you want to go a step better, get an eletronic one.

Reply to
Rex B

Thanks for the thought cycles, but I don't think that's the case here. I connected a ground wire through the harness, and did my testing without the hitch being connected. (Learned the lesson you're speaking of when I wired the pickup truck. :-)

Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

If I understand you correctly, I need to run heavier wiring from the flasher up front to the rear of the car due to the increased current load?

Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

I tried the nearby Advance Auto, they didn't seem to have anything, and the guys behind the counter didn't seem to have a clue either.

I'll try the AutoZone across town.

Thanks Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Ask for a 536 Flasher, it's made to carry more T.S. bulbs.

Reply to
speedodoc