Help! 2000 Grand Cherokee - New Computer (ECM) - SKIM error

I have been having issues with my 2000 Grand Cherokee V6 that several shops advised would be replaced by installing a new computer. I was having sporadic cylinder misfires, odd stalls, and a weird one where I would turn the key to the off position and remove the key and the jeep would keep running.

Anyways, I bought a new computer from a salvage yard and just finished installing it. THe Jeep starts up great, but then dies out with a P1685 error. I know that that means SKIM error and that obviously the new computer doesn't recognize the key I use.

The question I have now is, what next? Do I have to take it to the Jeep dealer to have the computer programmed? Or can I take it to my local guy that I trust?

Any help is much appreiciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
michael.haskins