Help! '91 CRX HF no start

I'm out of ideas on this one, appealing to the experience of the group:

Bought a non-running 1991 CRX HF. It had stopped due to a broken camshaft, and had been stored for 6 months. One of the cam bearing surfaces was suspect, so I bought a used, head from a guy that had upgraded his. Cleaned all up, replaced the bad head with new one. Now I cannot get the engine to start. It cranks fine, and gives a few indications that it's trying but no start. I can see a weak spark, but it's not enough to fire a timing light.

Here's what I've replaced:

1- Gaskets of course, bought a head set. 2 - timing belt, seals. 3 - New plugs 4 - new distributor 5 - Gas - drained tank, added fresh gas, bled filter and manifold.

I've re-checked the cam timing many times, and I'm certain it's right. Distributor seems to be oriented right (not 180 out) Moving the distributor through it's timing range by hand while cranking does not make it fire. I oiled the cylinders while it was apart so they wouldn't start up dry. Plugs look good - not oil fouled.

So what am I missing? I've gotta think it needs a fatter spark, but the only thing left is the ignition wires and I can't see all 4 going bad just sitting. I'm ready to take it to a shop, but it's a major PITA to do that this week. Suggestions?

-- Rex Burkheimer

Reply to
Rex B

If the spark is weak or erratic, start at the coil and go from there. Also the distributor could have been installed incorrectly when it was replace or when the head was pulled off. I would compare the spark to something that is known to work to make sure it just doesn't look weak in the sun/etc.

Or if you are in for some real fun just hold the plug wires and see how high your hair stands up when you get jolted. :)

Scott

Reply to
Sc0tt

|Rex B wrote: |> I'm out of ideas on this one, appealing to the experience of the group: |> |> Bought a non-running 1991 CRX HF. It had stopped due to a broken camshaft, |> and had been stored for 6 months. One of the cam bearing surfaces was |> suspect, so I bought a used, head from a guy that had upgraded his. Cleaned |> all up, replaced the bad head with new one. Now I cannot get the engine to |> start. It cranks fine, and gives a few indications that it's trying but no |> start. I can see a weak spark, but it's not enough to fire a timing light. | |If the spark is weak or erratic, start at the coil and go from there. |Also the distributor could have been installed incorrectly when it was |replace or when the head was pulled off. I would compare the spark to |something that is known to work to make sure it just doesn't look weak |in the sun/etc.

Again, it is a brand new distributor, presumed in good working order. I removed and rechecked the orientated WRT the cam.

As for the spark, I have a brand new high-dollar digital timing light. It does not light up on the Honda, but it works fine when I clip it on my Ford.

Spark color is more orange than blue or yellow. I'm doing this indoors, semi-dark.

Thanks

Reply to
Rex B