Help 96 Honda Civic "Check Engine light" and "ABS light"

I bought a 96 Honda civic. It runs fine. But sometimes after about 5-10 mins on the road the CEL indicator comes one. Sometimes it doesn't. I short connected the SCS connector and the CEL flashed one long and one short which I think should be 1 and 10 not 11. What are the problems? Are they serious if I continue driving egnore it?

By the way, the ABS light showed 61 at the same time, but it never come on when drive, strange.

any answers are appreciated!

Reply to
wangsb

If the vehicle speed sensor drops out -- very common -- both the ABS and engine management will complain about vehicle speed signal not making any sense. It might be so brief that you don't notice the speedometer getting flakey.

Don

Donald Lewis

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1166685649.072117.193970@

73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com:

If there is a two-second pause between the long and short, then they are separate codes. But the MIL flash won't give you much information. To get the more specific OBD-II code behind everything, you need to have it read with a proper code reader.

Reply to
Tegger

yes, it has two senconds between two signals.

today, I reset the computer by pulling out the 7.5A backup fuse. it looks normal for the first two trips, while the engine light comes on again when I was happy about my wise.

Reply to
wangsb

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1166782919.205925.118540@

79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Don Lewis has provided good information. Have your VSS checked.

Reply to
Tegger