Help and fast pleassssssse

When I was pulling into a parking spot today, the steering got really hard, and all the dash lights came on. I got parked, turned it off, and turned it back on, and it seemed fine. I havent driven anywhere yet, I"ve been reassured it could have just been dust, any one else have any ideas??

Reply to
Angie23

Sounds like the engine died (stopped running). If it restarted just fine and doesn't do it again, I would not worry. If it happens again have a dealer look at the car.

I havent driven anywhere yet, I"ve been

Dust???? As in a dirty car????

Reply to
John S.

It stalled.

Could be letting you know something is about to die or it could mean nothing.

If it does it again, pay attention to what is on and what you are doing.

Also the type of car and tranny don't hurt along with how old.

Mike

Angie23 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have no idea. I assume they meant dust on a connection somewhere.. really I know NOTHING about cars, I'm lost and fearful of my 30 mile drive to Pittsburgh tonight. Any suggestions??

Reply to
Angie23

need more info and you probally just crank'ed the steering all the way at a low rpm and just stalled

Reply to
tudysmuck

Its a 94 Mercury Tracer. I have no idea what a tranny is so I don't know what type I have.

Reply to
Angie23

Take a cell phone and a credit card.

Reply to
John Kunkel

If the engine didnt die, maybe the power steering belt began slipping badly. This could make your power steering impotent. The same belt may have also driven the alternator.

Reply to
<HLS

If your area had been experiancing dust storms I would suggest checking the air filter.

This does not seem to be your problem though.

The streering got hard because the motor quit and your power steering was not powered anymore.

If it starts and drives OK for short distances I would not worry but make sure you have your Auto Club card and a flashlight.

Reply to
marks542004

also go out and simulate what you did a few times when it died . if nothing take a chance butt let your people know what 's going on so you dont become another stat in this countries M I A

Reply to
tudysmuck

RE: stalling

If you know a friend or family member who can do simple auto maintenance, see if they will clean the throttle body and check the intake hose for cracks. This is fairly basic stuff for a shadetree mechanic and won't take long. These two items can cause random stalling.

Maybe go so far as to have them see how bad the spark plugs are and replace them along with the air filter and fuel filter if they are dirty/original. These items won't directly cause your problem (normally) but are necessary maintenance and go a long way towards preventing bigger problems in the future.

If you must go to a repair shop, I would wait until the stalling becomes worse or more predictable so that the mechanic can duplicate it and find the cause. Otherwise you will either be without your car for a long time or waste the diagnostic charge on a "Can Not Duplicate" situation.

I would suggest you get the basic maintenance items checked/fixed now seperate from the stalling diagnosis.

TOyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Thanks for all your help and quick responses. I'm uber gratful!!

Reply to
Angie23

does this happen to be a stick shift (the one with 3 pedals in the floor instead of 2)?

irax.

Angie23 wrote:

Reply to
Iraxl Enb

Geez, I may not know much about cars, but I do know the difference between a standard and automatic. Its an automatic.. only two pedals :P

Reply to
Angie23

...was referring to another poster's asking what type of tranny & to your not realizing that a tranny was a transmission...

Reply to
sdlomi2

Did the engine actually die or did the steering get hard and lights come on?

If only the second, then I would be checking the level of the fluid in the power steering pump. There will be a cap on it with a dipstick inside the cap to tell the level.

Mike

Angie23 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain