Help! Caliper torque setting

I'm putting the caliper back on the anchor plate. From what I can tell, the torque is 47 pounds. I managed to sheer the bolt and now have to go to the hardware store to get another one. Am I misreading the specs? (see pic) Ma ybe I didn't hear the click from the Autozone loaner torque wrench.

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael Wilson

47 lb-ft is not that tight. You must have just cranked that torque wrench to high hell. If you have no feel for torque, my suggestion is that you start at 20 lb-ft and then work your way up and learn the feel of the amount of torque that it takes. OTOH, you should learn the proper amount of torque needed by the size and material of the fastener. These days, I don't need no stinkin' torque wrench.
Reply to
dsi1

the torque is 47 pounds. I managed to sheer the bolt and now have to go to the hardware store to get another one. Am I misreading the specs? (see pic ) Maybe I didn't hear the click from the Autozone loaner torque wrench.

I read the docs wrong. The torque is 21-26. Live and learn.

Reply to
Michael Wilson

If you have employees who "don't need a torque wrench", put a dial wrench in a vise with the scale facing away and have them show you various torques. The other guys will almost laugh and then they get quiet too.

For the fasteners they do all day long they are pretty good but anything unusual will be way off.

Reply to
AMuzi

Calibrated fingers

anyways most fastener joints work for a wide range of torque values, much wider than a manual or assembly spec will give. That's why one can get away with a calibrated fingers approach. The trick is knowing when a torque wrench is really needed and when it's just a suggestion.

Reply to
Brent

I think it's silly to have to pull out a torque wrench for every fastener. You really don't need an employee that does that. Obviously, there are some fasteners where you should use one or a torque angle gauge. My friend always pulls out his torque wrench and he takes twice as long to do a simple job and has no feel for this kind of work.

Reply to
dsi1

I agree.

With expensive and delicate carbon fiber and titanium parts observing manufacturer's torque value is critical but in most things close counts.

Reply to
AMuzi

Yep, 2WD vs 4WD.

Although I also use Autozone's guides for cars that I can't find info for elsewhere, I've found I need to be EXTRA careful, as many of the pages are adapted to their site by non-humans, so there's a LOT of errors that slip by. There's one car (can't remember which) that had 6 different procedures for removing the transmission. Of course, all the headers telling you which year / model / engine each section was for were missing, so it was kind of a guessing game of which was correct. I would have complained, but it's FREE, so.......

Reply to
Sanity Clause

These exotic, lightweight, parts would require a recalibration of my arm. As of yet, I've never met one of these critters. I sure hope I don't! :-)

Reply to
dsi1