Help, cant turn off Air conditioning!!!

I recently had my car stereo stolen. The A/C switch was broke or disconnected. So I find that the cool or hot air is always coming out. Depending on what setting I have the temperature set to. The switch that increases the force of the air still works. So luckily I can turn the air to a lower setting. My worry is that I am draining gas very fast. This is a toyota corolla 96. I called a few places and they tell me that A/C estimates run from 80 to 200 dollars. Most charging 70 bucks and up per hour. Would it be cheaper to just let the A/C stay on and pay for the increase in gas usage? Or should I get to the bottom of this and take it to a shop?

Reply to
henree64

Why run the AC in weather where you don't need it. The answer should be obvious...get it fixed.

Reply to
John S.

Get it fixed, not only are you using more gas (which is significant, especially on a small car like a corolla), but you'll wear out the A/C system more quickly. Your acceleration will suffer too.

Reply to
Masospaghetti

I am not very familiar with car mechanics. So where is the fuse located? If it is a simple job disconnecting the A/C myself I would definitely do it. Can anyone explain the simplest way to stop the A/C from working. Cause I don't need it.

Reply to
henree64

You can disconnect the compressor clutch solenoid until you get the system repaired.

Professor

Professor

It will either be in the engine compartment (should be a black box with fuses inside), or beneath the steering wheel in the dash panel. They should be labeled.

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Do you mean the blower is always running, or the actual air conditioning compressor. It is not clear from your message. On some cars the blower is wired to stay on (safety issue to eliminate CO). The blower speed control should work, however.

On other cars the AC (compressor and all) come on when distribution switch is in defrost settings.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Well it could be the blower. But the air is cool. And when I turn the switch to the hot setting. It heats up as well. I tried looking under the hood for the A/C fuse. To disconnect it. But coudn't find it. Anyone have more detaild directions as to where to disconnect the A/C.

Reply to
henree64

If you disconnect the compressor you will loose all your cooling ability and your defog function will be severly impaired. The a/c drys the air helping the defog a lot... this is why most cars cycle the a/c compressor while in the defrost or defog mode.

As to whether or not to fix it I guess that depends on where you live... I'm in sout FL and couldn't tell you the last time I turned off the a/c or guess when the next time might be.... If you live in Alaska your results might vary.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.