HELP! Dead Honda Civic!

My 1994 Honda Civic EX coupe died tonight. It was running fine for about half an hour...then i turned it off for about 15 minutes...but it wouldn't restart.

The radio, lights and other electronics seem to be working fine. when i try to start (position III) the car i can hear the starter faintly chug a couple of times then i hear the relay switch/switches under the dashboard (on the left side) start clicking like crazy. the engine is silent through all of this (i.e. no cranking sounds).

My car is also equipped with a Crimestopper CJ9601 car alarm. the alarm would kick in whenever the key was in position III.....and stop as soon as i put the key back in position 0, I or II. i turned off the alarm at the backup battery so it no longer goes off. .all i get now is the aforementioned chugs from the starter and crazy relay clicking.

I've never had the car die like this. it's been reasonably well maintained and has performed well (like most Civics). I'm hoping i can fix the problem on the spot without having to get it towed and diagno$ed in a $hop.

thanks in advance for any help!

ress

Reply to
Ress199

Sounds like a bad battery connection. Clean and re-tighten the battery terminals and check the connections where the battery ground wire is bolted down.

Reply to
John Ings

If this isn't it - check the posts are clean and fastened properly - it could be a defective battery. If the headlights are bright (not yellow) when switched on, but go dark on starting you may have a shorted battery cell.

Reply to
No Spam

the battery could have died in this fashion. get a jump from someone. if it starts ok the battery probably is bad. you may also need to get the charging system (alternator) checked. good luck, sammmm

Reply to
sammmm

Thanks for the tips. It turned out that i needed a new battery (defective battery was 4 years old). Hopefully that will be the end of it.

cheers

Reply to
Ress199