Help Emission Export Needed - High HC after new O2 Sensor

My car is driving me out of my mind with the emission test. I need some input for someone who knows a lot more than I do. Here are the details.

The car is a 95 Cavalier with a 2.2 TBI engine. It has failed 3 emission tests with high HC.

Test 1.

HC 1.9 Grams/Mile (.8 Grams/mile allowed) Both CO and NOx passed but not by much.

My wife drove the car from a cold start for about 15 min. in slow city traffic before the test. I figured that the engine has not fully warmed so I drove it on the highway before next test.

Test 2 (almost passed). HC 0.95 Grams/mile (.8 Gram/mile allowed) CO approx. 1/2 of allowed NOx was much lower than allowed.

Drove car for 25 min. at highway speed before test. Both test 1 and test 2 showed spikes in the HC and CO at approximately the same points of the test. I figured the O2 sensor may be getting weak so I replaced the sensor.

Test 3.

This one nearly made me sick. HC 2.5 Grams/mile !!! CO 9.78 Grams/mile (15 allowed) NOx 1.0 Grams/mile (2 allowed)

I drove the car to around town for an hour or so the day before the test to let things adjust to the new sensor then drove 40 min at highway speed right before the test.

Any ideas why replacing the O2 sensor may have taken me from almost passing to being 3 times to high on HC? I have an appointment to take the car in to the shop for a diagnostic test on Saturday but would like some feedback so that I can be sure what the shop tells me is accurate.

Reply to
mtenhol

More info:

I forgot to menti> My car is driving me out of my mind with the emission test. I need some

Reply to
mtenhol

First, determine whether the system has proper fuel control by analyzing the fuel trims. Second, check for miss-fires. Third, check catalytic convertor efficiency.

If the replacement catalytic convertor is an aftermarket unit, it may have and probably already has lost significant efficiency. Most aftermarket cat-cons are much less efficient new out of the box than OEM units, that's why they are priced much cheaper.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I had that problem on an '86 Econoline. I wanted to change the thermostat when I did the coolant. The parts place only had a 180 degree, not the 195 specified. Next year it failed emissions. Apparently the computer was looking for 195 and kept the mixture too rich. After putting in a 195 it passed the retest fine. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

  1. Vac leak - tells the O2 sensor to dump in more fuel to compensate.
  2. EGR not opening.
  3. Bad cat.
Reply to
« Paul »