Help,!!flush brake fluid or replace all brake parts!!!

Went to our cheap tire store and had a brake check.Do we need pads?fluid?NOOOO You might as well junk that 93 astro van because of contaminated brake fluid,you need $1700 to replace all rubber parts in brake system.We are not rich and cannot put $1700 in a 93 van thats really a nice ride otherwise. Could it be that no service company would dare make a partial fix to a problem like this because the yellow pages are overflowing with lawyers just waiting to point out if the1700 fix had been done these poor people wouldnt have run over our clients cat! Just FYI ,lawyers control all that is easily fixed as opposed to all that must be fixed without fear of legal liability.SOOOOOO considering I myself put in only dot3 (albeit old dot3) fluid....

1.Can the brake system be flushed first ,then replace as needed...MC,rubber hose..wheel cylinders in a logical order of importance. Has anyone ever asked the junkyard guy "Hey that car looks nice,is the engine blown?" "no runs good"..."frame bad ,front end shot" "Nope" "Well whys that great lookin car sitting there junked?" "bad brake fluid"
Reply to
pinfun

What ARE you talking about???

Reply to
<HLS

you are the victim of someone trying to profit from your ignorance. i have never in 35 years of working exp. encountered a vehicle in which condition you stated. carry your car somewhere else. hell, i could replace that whole system for 700 dollars!

Reply to
plainoldmechanic

The only way the entire brake system could be contaminated to the point of needing to overhaul the system is if oil somehow got in the brake fluid and ruined all the seals. Chances are your fluid is dark green or black from years of sitting and absorbing moisture, and it just needs a good flushing. And I also hate lawyers.

Reply to
qslim

Sounds like someone is trying to sucker you for unnecessary repairs. I would flush and then replace things only as necessary (hoses if cracked, cylinders if leaking, etc).

Reply to
tylernt