Help! just about to go Postal!. 1997 blazer fuel pump went TIP TOP! how to replace

has anyone replaced a 1997 fuel pump assembly? My blazer fuel pump just bit the dust today. I was driving to work, when all of sudden I lost engine power, I pulled to the side of the highway and check the basic things. Everything looked ok, I managed to make it to work. After my shift was over and I was ready to go home, I couldnt start the vehicle. It jsut kept on cranking and cranking, I called the tow truck , and the driver was nice enough to show me a little trick. he pounded the living shit out of the gas tank while i was cracking the hell outta the ignition. it worked and I drove home. Now the piece of shit truck is sitting on my driveway. I called a few places and they quoted me 550.00 + for the parts alone! never mind for the labour cost!! thats like 420.00 USD dollar for a freaking pump..!!! and I thought buying japanese cars parts were expensive! shees!

please pardon my grunting, but hell 450.00 for a fuel pump? thanks god it was not some other internal engine component... :(

Has anyone replaced a fuel pump on a97 or newer blazer before? i bought the haynes manual, the work doesnt look too difficult, but I think i rather ask first.

Please let me know..

meanwhile, I am hitch hiking to work tomorrow...

Reply to
Chris

Sounds a little steep. They are probably quoting you on GM parts, which is the way to fly in such a situation, but if I were you, I'd call the local dealer to check for yourself. If the price is close to correct, your probably buying the whole unit ( pump & guage sender/float). If the pump is available separate it should be cheaper. If it's available separate in aftermarket, I can guarantee you it will be cheaper. But in my world, I like to stick to factory stuff when it comes to in-tank fuel pumps as they are better & dropping the tank is a pain, in most cases. If you can bang-start your pump one more time, disconnect the feed line somewhere convenient & run a hose into a 5 gallon can (or 2 if necessary) & get the tank as empty as possible to make the job less of a hassle. Run a jumper to the appropriate wire on the relay from the battery + side to fire the pump. Good luck.

Reply to
PA-ter

if 4 door, 294.79 with 2 door

Reply to
Steve W.

I have been researching the same issues on my 96 S10. Those in tank modular pumps are NOT cheap.

There is a couple of possibilities. The pump sock could be plugged. You would have to take the pump out to check it. There could also be a bad electrical connection on the top of the pump assembly. And you did change the fuel filter? Has it been making a whinning noise for a while?

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Hi!

I forget to mention, I am in Canada, but still the gas fuel pump price is outta this world. its not an engine I am replacing!.

get this, I got quoted 800 for the original factory price fromt the local dealership.

It has been making a loud buzzing sound for a while. In fact, I posted about the noise back then in this newsgroup.

Has anyone replaced the pump in one of this vehicles? any help is HIGHLY appreciated

Reply to
Chris

Yeah, but $400?!? An in-tank pump module (complete with guage sender and strainer) for my wife's 93 Vision was only about $120 at NAPA. Yeah, I still think of a fuel pump as a $15 part- and it IS for all my other cars...

To the original poster- try looking at NAPAonline.com to see what their price for an S-10 pump module is.

Reply to
Steve