Help locating fuel filter

I own a 2003 pontiac grand am 3.4 l engine. I'm trying to learn were the fuel filter might be located. Also are there any good books on cars for people wanted to learn about theirs?

thank you Brad

Reply to
Brad

Haynes and Chilton publish repair manuals for most cars and light tucks. Available at auto parts stores, public libraries, and second hand book shops.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

But in most cases, the Haynes and Chiltons manuals are only good for wiping up oil drips. Get the FSM. Check on ebay.

Most likely the fuel filter is located > Brad ( snipped-for-privacy@msn.com) writes:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Next time try: google "grand am fuel filter located"

Reply to
Martik

Wow. What a wretched place for the filter, and what a silly notion of its appropriate maintenance cycle. (Especially given the reputation that GM fuel pumps have gotten in the last several years for being intolerant of clogged filters and/or cavitation from very low fuel levels.)

Having the fuel PUMP (or one of a pair of pumps) in the tank is of course pretty familiar from many late-model cars, and there's usually something colloquially called a "sock" or "screen" as a prefilter around the fuel pickup in the tank in any event. (The sock is not a maintenance item unless your favorite gas station has rafts of algae growing down there or something.) But I've usually seen the FILTER

*near* the tank, usually tucked up under a frame rail or something for safety's sake, not actually in the tank.

But then, most every car I work on shows me some design aspect I wouldn't have thought of except maybe with the help of a pepperoni and anchovy pizza just before bedtime -- usually something that, surprise, surprise, is more convenient for the production line and less so for the mechanic.

Anyway, while the consumer sort of repair manuals found at the auto-parts chain stores are much inferior to factory service manuals when it comes to advanced repairs or diagnostics, they should serve you well enough for this sort of thing, and the relevant safety precautions.

Purchasing the correct fuel filter and pondering its size and shape may also give you some hints on where it would or would not likely be located. If you're lucky, within a reasonable distance you will find a *good* auto parts store, the sort where the staff really work on cars and the advice is well worth a small increment of cost.

Best of luck,

--Joe

PS. If it has threaded flare fittings (metal tubing), which I'd imagine it does these days, treat your tool kit to flare-nut wrenches of the appropriate sizes. You know, the ones that look like a box-end wrench with an opening in it so you can get 'em back off after installing a piece of tubing. (Of course I would *never* have made that mistake early in my learning curve, not no way nohow, myself.) They do a better job with less risk of damage than open-end wrenches.

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

That's a damn good idea! Let's all just Google when we have a question or want to discuss something!

Look at all the bandwidth we would save by eliminating NNTP all together.

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

Quite often the question has already been answered, not to mention you will get your answer immediately.

Why waste someone's time re-answering the same question?

Just trying to be helpful...

Reply to
Martik