HELP needed with a electrical short

I need help! I have a short that blows my 9amp fuse when the headlight switch is turned on. I disconnected the wiring connector that leads to the rear and the fuse does not blow. But I'm not sure this is where the problem is. It could be that unplugging the connector is only breaking the connection of a return voltage back to the front.

Someone said I can wire a light bulb to the fuse area and when the bulb stops glowing, then I've found the short. Has anyone tried this method?

Thanks, Terry in Texas

Reply to
Rocker

It always helps to give a just a 'little' clue on what the heck is shorted?

If it was a truck, I would say check the trailer light plug.

Mike

Rocker wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

pull all the rear bulbs on that circuit. or connectors. now plug them in one at a time until the fuse blows. that's the easiest way to approach it. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

Rocker wrote in rec.autos.tech

Return voltage? The lights are generally grounded at the sockets, or close by. And even if the wiring did run to a light and then back, having it short out on the way back would not blow a fuse. Also, a 9 amp fuse is a bit unlikely. You may be thinking of fuse number nine. The fuse is more than likely a 10 or 15 amp fuse. Tell us the make and model of your car and we can do a better job of helping you.

Anyway, not that you have started to isolate the problem, all you need to do is to follow the wires and look for someplace where the wires are rubbing. Start at the sockets, and look in the trunk area. You don't say what kind of car this is, but if it has the lights mounted on a trunk lid or any kind of door that swings open, that is the first place to look. The flexing of the wires as you open and close the door can make them rub against the frame, wearing through the insulation and making a short. If the lights are mounted in a more normal fashion, check the sockets, and check the wires going to them. Sometimes something hits the wires and cuts the insulation. Also look under the dash, follow the wires from where the plug is to where it goes into the body. They could have chaffed at that point. If no problem is found there, then you will simply have to follow the wires as they run through the car to the back end.

It works, sort of. But I would not use it. You need a fuse to keep the wires from burning up and catching the car on fire. One thing you might try is to put the plug back in, put in a new fuse, and have someone turn on the lights while you are watching the tail lights. One will glow, the other will not, at least until the fuse blows.

Reply to
Dick C

All

stops glowing, then I've found the short. > Has anyone tried this method?

I do this a lot. Or use a meter. The way to go. Bob AZ

Reply to
RWatson767