Help: Pick between Weber or Holley carb conversion

I am looking to convert to a Weber or Holley carburator for my '86 Mazda B2000 truck because of persistent problems with the OEM carb which is still original. Weber kits come complete and sound really easy to install, and I have not seen any complete Holley kits while browsing the net. So the Weber is the easiest choice for me.

I live in Ontario, and friends tell me that I should stay away from a Weber (32-36 DGEV) because they do not take to winter weather very well. This does not sound too good to me, as the truck is my winter "beater" and we get temperatures as low as -25C here with high humidity levels. Brrrr....

Furthermore, my freinds say the Weber will have to be fiddled with (jets etc) to get it to run right under those conditions, while the Holley would be fine right out of the box.

Is there any truth to any of this? Or not to worry?

Thanks for any replies!

Fred_in_Ottawa

Reply to
Fred

I had a pair of 40DCNF's on my Fiat X1/9, with siezed enrichment devices. Two pumps on the shooters, and it went, all year 'round.

Steve Ottawa

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Years ago I used to drive a '68 Chev Nova. The original carb on this was a Rochester "MV". That carb was a total pain in the ass. I went through 5 "rebuilts" before I gave up and took my money back. They were ALL SHIT.

I started scratching around, and I eventually purchased a Holley "EconoMaster".

Long story short, I did NOT get any better gas mileage; HOWEVER, all the problems with the other carb were gone forever! My 250 CID straight six purred like a kitten! That Holley carb as only $80 SPANKING NEW!

At the time I was living in Saskatchewan. Typical winter temps into

-35 Deg. C!

My experience with Holley is VERY GOOD.

I have neer used a Webber carb, so I can't comment on them.

hth

Reply to
Cloaked

|I am looking to convert to a Weber or Holley carburator for my '86 |Mazda B2000 truck because of persistent problems with the OEM carb |which is still original. Weber kits come complete and sound really |easy to install, and I have not seen any complete Holley kits while |browsing the net. So the Weber is the easiest choice for me. | |I live in Ontario, and friends tell me that I should stay away from a |Weber (32-36 DGEV) because they do not take to winter weather very |well. This does not sound too good to me, as the truck is my winter |"beater" and we get temperatures as low as -25C here with high |humidity levels. Brrrr.... | |Furthermore, my freinds say the Weber will have to be fiddled with |(jets etc) to get it to run right under those conditions, while the |Holley would be fine right out of the box. | |Is there any truth to any of this? Or not to worry? | |Thanks for any replies! | |Fred_in_Ottawa

I think that story is a bit dated. At one time, the universal or performance Holleys were jetted rich on purpose. Fewer amateurs got into trouble with rich mixtures than with lean. Most ran them as-is, using lots of fuel and never jetting them down. Then the power valve failed and they used even more fuel. Never had to use the choke though.

I think the Weber is your only choice. There was a time that Holley offered replacement carbs for import 4-cylinders, but they were Weber designs licensed to Holley, or just Weber carbs re-boxed as Holley. I haven't seen anything like that from Holley in years. You might see if any auto parts distributors near you stock Holley rebuilt carbs. Often they found it cheaper to buy new carbs and sell them as rebuilt. Your application would likely be one of those. If you find a Holley "rebuilt", look in the box and see if it looks like a new Weber. And... the Weber is the most adjkustable carb out there. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work fine in cold weather. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B