Help, please-failed emissions

1986 S-10, 2.8 V-6, Automatic, Holley 400 CFM TBI, Edelbrock TES, MSD coil, Accel cap. rotor, wires, Bosch plugs, 3-wire o2 sensor, Maremont cat (a little over 2 yrs old). Failed due to Nox. High speed results were 2457 standard, 2915 current reading. Low speed was 2638 standard, 3552 current reading. Any ideas would be appreciated, as Cristmas is coming and I'm not too flush with cash. Thank you in advance, Mark. Sally sells sea shells by the sea shore because rough men stand ready to do violence on her behalf.
Reply to
Mark Pilcher

Hi NOx usually means bad EGR and/or overly advanced timing. With all the aftermarket stuff on your car it's hard to tell.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

ideas>would be appreciated, as Cristmas is coming and I'm not too flush with cash.

EGR seems to check out as good. Pushed up on the valve and the engine bogs almost to death. Still looking for hints. Everything I installed is emissions compliant.

Sally sells sea shells by the sea shore because rough men stand ready to do violence on her behalf.

Reply to
Mark Pilcher

It's most likely either overly advanced emission timing, not enough EGR or a worn out catalytic converter.

The EGR valve passages may be OK, but do you know if it's actually opening?

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Do you think it could be no vacuum from the throttle body? Sally sells sea shells by the sea shore because rough men stand ready to do violence on her behalf.

Reply to
Mark Pilcher

Wow, a 2450 rating is *standard*? Mine with a 160k-mileage clogged cat, failed EGR and high-temp fuel-system cleaner running through the lines reached 2450, and that is nearly a gross polluter in NJ. Nothing over 1700 is allowed. What state is this? Texas?

Dan

PS To pass I replaced the cat & o2 sensor. NOx went from 2450 to 900, and HC & CO went to practically zero.

Reply to
dstvns

You bet! Everything's bigger in Texas. ;-)

Ithink my timing/vacuum may be playing into it. Thanks for the ideas-keep them coming.

Sally sells sea shells by the sea shore because rough men stand ready to do violence on her behalf.

Reply to
Mark Pilcher

My Mazda Protege with 201K miles failed as well and it was just the timing...retarded it to the point it ran like a dog and it passed no problem. Then set it back up.

Reply to
Mr. Pissy Boy

The vacuum should be running through a CTO valve. This only allows the vacuum to pass when the engine is hot. Maybe the CTO isn't working or the plumbing isn't right. I see messed up vacuum plumbing all the time.

Mike

Mark Pilcher wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you had to retard past specs to fix it, it wasn't the timing.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Turns out that the previous owner had blocked off the EGR vacuum line. The only two vacuum lines I hadn't replaced were the two from the TBI to CTO and from CTO to EGR. Don't you just love happy endings? Thanks for all the hints and ideas.