Help with Mazda B2200 (PLEASE) tranny problem

Hi

We have a 1989 Mazda B2200 (short box, reg cab) with an Automatic Transmission. 2 months ago it started to slip so we had the Trans Oil changed and the system flushed. IT WORKED (for a while). Now this week it is started to slip again and it is getting worse by the day to the point that it is really frustrating. When you put it in drive or reverse it takes a couple seconds to go into gear. My questions are:

(1) Is this tranny adjustable without rebuild (removal)

(2) Is there a quick fix for this (so I can sell it to a dealer)

(3) If I need to have it rebuilt, is it easy to re-move and re-install (any complicated stuff?)

(4) If I find one at the wrecker that I think is good, is it complicated to replace the old one (kind of the same question as above)? Note: I am NOT a mechanic but I have no problem replacing STARTERS, ALTERNATORS, BELTS and simple stuff like that.

(5) If I can't find an automatic tranny to replace it can a standard transmission be put in without too much complication?

Thank you to any and all who can help

Advice is much appreciated

thank you

Reply to
stevefrench

I, as a retired dealer, find this question/suggestion quite condescending. There are so many of us who would AND HAVE sent "problem" vehicles to salvage sales & taken whatever they brought rather than sell them for profits to unsuspecting individual buyers. Sure, there are often ways to disguise and even delay a vehicle's 'disease'--in your case I've heard of adding certain fluids to "pass it off". The point: so many seem to think all is fair when it comes to crooking a dealer, when he often would be the last person to return such a "deal" to an individual. Please think before implying that "dealers are crooks, so it's ok for me to lie to him or sell him a problematic vehicle without telling him". After all, what if the patch worked long enough, without symptoms, for him to unknowingly re-sell that problematic vehicle to your child? Now, who was the real culprit??? sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

Unknown (to me)

See answer #1

I can't see why it would be too hard - Disconnect shift linkage and any wiring/vac lines, unbolt from engine (might need to pull lines from tranny to radiator if so equipped) unbolt tranny mount, drop driveline, drop tranny, game over.

Reverse to replace.

See answer #3.

That would likely be a major headache - Find manual tranny, find clutch workings, probably (almost certainly) needs flywheel change, good luck trying to mount the clutch pedal, cut hole in floorboards to put stick through, cobble together a boot for the stick, computer (if equipped that early - not sure when Mazda started hanging computers on their vehicles) might complain... LOTS of "fiddly stuff" to worry about in such a changeover. Sounds to me like a good way to give yourself a massive headache.I'm sure it's POSSIBLE to do such a conversion, but *I* wouldn't be interested in trying to do it. (despite the fact that I do

*EVERYTHING* on my '82 626 except stuff that requires special/ultra-expensive equipment/skills like alignment and smog testing

- though I am getting set to try doing a "string" alignment once I get done with the front-end swap on this car)

Reply to
Don Bruder

You must be kidding right? I have worked 12 years for some auto dealers (years back) and most of them sell the stuff that they get in on trade or via auction right after they get it. They make high claims on vehicles that they have not even driven. Can you claim that this is not true (not neccesarily you, but you must know it does happen)? One guy (the top salesman) used to use the same line for every vehicle.."IT DRIVES OUT REAL STRAIGHT" !

I once bought a car from a dealer and told him VERY CLEARLY and VERY SLOWLY so he could understand ..."This car will be for my wife who is pregnant and is commuting to work, so I don't care about nothing but reliability". He sold me a car that broke down just 4 days later. I took it to a local repair shop (head gasket) and the owner of the repair shop told me right off the bat that he "Knew this car". It turns out that the dealer that bought it was told by the repair shop just 2 days before I bought it that the head gasket was leaking. The mechanic also told me it was full of Bardahl. I went back to the dealer and after getting the other guy on conference call the dealer finally played dumb. That was many years ago and I am wiser now.

Dealers also rip people off on trade. You can bring in a car that brings $2000 at an auction and the dealer will give you $2500 for it...but guess what??? You can forget about getting the car for anything but the MSRP or close to it. That's right, you gave them the car for FREE!

I once bought a used (2 years old) truck from a dealer and then went to give him my business 3 years later and when I asked him on the phone what he would give me in trade for my still LOW miled vehicle he said "whatever you owe on it" !!!!!!!

SO as you can see, I have not had much in the way of good experiences with car dealers. I am sure there are some on here who can say the same

Reply to
stevefrench

"stevefrench" wrote in message news:__ppe.1593358$8l.1060226@pd7tw1no...

vehicle.."IT

Steve, yes, I have known ones who used such tactics, but they never seemed to be in business very long. The majority of the ones I dealt with, I felt comfortable buying from "on the phone". (BUT! I still checked them myself before offering them for resale--anybody, including you and me, can accidentally miss some potential/existing problem.) And, yes, I can understand how your experience has affected your overall opinion of the often-criticized businesses. I feel sure I'd feel similar having had similar experiences. It does make me feel better, however, that you don't put us all in "that category" and do realize there may just be room for some reputable businesspeople. An answer that may even make you wish to keep your vehicle follows. Some readers will read in disbelief, esp. if they've had no experiences with what I'm going to mention. And yet--mechanics like the "Texas Parts Guy", who seems to have extensive knowledge as well as experience, will agree.--those who have used it successfully will testify to its quality: TRANS-X. Buy it at Auto Zone & use it exactly according to its directions. If your tranny has not gone too far and may have sticking valves, checkballs, etc.from varnish or such things as loosing pressure around certain (NOT ALL) components, TransX may heal your ills. Give it a chance. In some cases I've seen it take several weeks of everyday driving to "do its thing". It's not gonna reface your clutches, rebuild your torque convertor, or rebuild worn out "hard parts"; however, a tranny with symptoms such as yours will often respond favorably to its use. But, remember to give it time to perform its intended functions, & as far as additives, of which I'm not terrifically fond, are concerned, it's definitely the best thing I've personally had experience with for auto trannies. Good luck. And, if this application seems to clear up your symptoms, I'd not be afraid to expect it to last longer than just enough to "pawn it off". It could just surprise you with the additional service it could give. Thanks for your reply and good luck with your tranny. Have a good 'un! sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

directions.

Reply to