Help With My Steiner Mower...

I know this is a car forum...but you guys give such great advise that I'm hoping someone may have a suggestion for me. I own a 2wd Steiner tractor mower and yesterday I cleaned it inside and out with engine degreaser than hosed her down. Now it's not running right. You should know that before the cleaning, when I let the mower idle, it wanted to progress forward as if the pedal was being pushed (slow rate of speed, of course). Anyway, after I cleaned the mower, it is now doing ALL of the following: running rough, accelerating and de-accelerating on it's own, if I push the pedal down it will bog down and eventually stall...unless I release the pedal...then it will eventually kick back up to speed again, same thing when the mowing deck is operating, it will bog down, eventually stall but if I stop moving the mower (don't have to necessarily turn off the mowing deck) it will get back up to speed in a minute or two. When it is running at normal rate, it mows fine. But that only last about 2 minutes until it loses it's power.

HELP! These things cost a mint...and even more to repair. Maybe it's something simple. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Reply to
922er

Wires/etc. are probably still wet. Do you have an air compressor? Try blowing water out from around spark plugs, ignition wires, etc.

Also, did you have the carb protected from overspray? Any chance that you've gotten water into the air cleaner or gas tank?

Reply to
Calab

I did find a small amount of water in the carb. Emptied that out. Emptied out all the gas from the tank and the gas line. Put fresh in. Air cleaner was dry. It ran a little better today than yesterday, but still nothing close to where it should be. The fact that it loses power to the point of stalling when I'm going up hill or trying to run the mower deck bothers me. It will idle fine, I can increase or decrease throttle with no problems, run the mower on flat ground with no issues but have problems, like I mentioned, when going up hill and when turning on the mower deck. No power.

How long could it take for this thing to complete dry out? Is there a risk of lasting effect?

Reply to
922er

Can take a long time if water gets in the distributor or other occluded places.

I have no idea what kind of engine, ignition, etc a Steiner has but consider doing a WD-40 job on it, if applicable.

WD-40 was designed as a water dispersant. Spray the plug wires, carburetor linkages, and especially spray inside the distributor cap (if it has one). Sling the excess WD-40 out of the distributor cap and reassemble. This kind of shotgun treatment has put a lot of motors back in play after a hosing down.

Reply to
HLS

I've never seen a Steiner mower and wouldn't know one if it bit me on the ass but....

I would suspect water in the ignition system. Does it have a distributor cap and plug wires? If it does pull them off and let them dry or better yet go ahead and do a tune up and replace them along with the plugs and points if it has them. Make sure everything is dry in the distributor.

You could also try opening the hood (assuming it has one) and let the sun bake on it for a couple of days.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

mowers, tractors and utility trucks.

I don't own a Steiner.My cheap little $100.00 walk behind lawn mower is good enough for me. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You've probably for water inside thegas tank, inside the ignition, et. If it were me I would drain all of the gas from tank and carburetor and check the oil closely for any water. If that doesn't work, set it out in the sun for a couple of days and let it dry out. If that doesn't work you have have bumped into the carb and governor during this cleaning and hosing job and altered the settings.

Reply to
John S.

Today was a new day. Let the mower sit again overnight and about noon started it up. Didn't want to start at first. Then I was able to get her running. So, I tried mowing. Flat ground, uphill, fast slow...all of that... for about first 1/2 hour it would run great for about a minute, then bog down, take about a minute to regroup then run fine again for short period of time. As time went on, it appeared the time between poor running lapses was getting farther apart...after about an hour, it finally let me mow for 15 minutes straight with no issues. Then the storm blew in so I had to call it quits. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for all your advice!

John S. wrote:

Reply to
922er via CarKB.com

Good deal - now get to mowing that lawn!! Could have been moisture.

Reply to
John S.

I think the longer it dries out, the better it will get.I need to mow my yard this evening. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin