Hit The Brakes: State Governments Raise Traffic Fees.

They are Laying it On! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Those traffic cameras, like Jay Leno said, Why don't you just shoot them out?

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Have to pay for all those attorneys somehow.

Reply to
Paul

That would be a big mistake.

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:zsCdnW92hKtgIjXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Speed enforcement has little or nothing to do with "safety".

Reply to
Tegger

Perhaps...knowing that you are being watched, can be identified, and will be held to task for your misbehaviour will, I believe, cause people to drive more responsibly.

The old saw "When the cat's away, the mice will play" is as true now as ever.

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:kNSdnRB6Ir4LYjXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Perhaps, except that your belief is not backed up by any sort of evidence.

Collisions, injuries, and death trends tend to follow the weather in the short term, and the economy in the long term. When the cops report the success of their latest "crackdown", they usually report the ostensible effectiveness of their efforts without mentioning that the trend was heading in that direction anyway. I've seen it where collisions, injuries, and deaths INCREASED during a "crackdown". The cops are notably silent in those cases.

Getting ticketed for a moving violation happens so infrequently that it's about as close to winning a reverse-lottery as you can get. Most people are not at all thinking about getting nabbed by the cops; they're just driving according to road design and ambient conditions.

Most speed limits these days are too low for the design of the road. The cops and prosecutors love this, as it ensures lots of tickets and convictions; this is how their respective job performances are measured.

Traffic enforcement is more political and personal than anything else. "Safety" has little or nothing to do with it.

Reply to
Tegger

"hls" wrote in news:kNSdnRB6Ir4LYjXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The one thing that decreases crime as well: knowing or thinking you will be caught.

Reply to
chuckcar

I think you're on to something. Perhaps we should permit government to put cameras in our homes. This will certainly curtail a lot of misbehavior that otherwise goes unreported.

Indeed. So you are saying that your vision of the ideal society is something like this:

Roger Blake

We're already past that.

Reply to
E. Meyer