Ho much to mount/install/balance tires?

This evening i'm going to go pick up some snow tires since they're on for a very good price. i wasn't planning on having them put on the car at that time but now i'm wondering about what that price will be later?

If i go into someplace (my dealer, Canadian Tire, anywhere etc) and say "I want to buy 4 steel rims, have these tires put on them, and then have everything properly put onto my car, how much should i expect something like that to cost?

And as an aside, is balancing tires something that must be done every time you take the rim off the car or only something that has to be done when new rubber is put onto a rim and inflated? For example, assuming someone gives me an estimated price for the scenario above, what would the price be in the spring when i want to have my 4 winter tires-and-rims removed and replaced by my all season tires-and-rims? Everything is already on a rim so none of that has to be done.

As a further aside, is there a difference between the steel winter rims that canadian tire sells and the steel winter rims that my Toyota dealer sells? Long ago when I enquired about winter tires at the dealer, he made a point of saying how they use Toyota rims which center on the hub instead of centering using the bolts... or something like that. Is this something that only Toyota rims would do or a case where 90% of generic ones would too.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
kevins_news

Rim cost is dependent on vehicle, but if you have a common vehicle you may be able to get used ones from your local junkyard for $15-20 each. Mount and balance can run up to $20 a tire.

You should only need a balance when you mount a new tire on the rim, although sometimes tires can get out of balance as they wear. You'll know if you need it as you will feel the vibration. Just a balance ought to be cheaper than a mount and balance.

His comments were probably more directed at aftermarket alloy wheels which commonly are not hubcentric. I have never purchased aftermarket steel wheels so I can't comment on the specifics. Since you mention Toyota dealer I'm guessing this is a fairly late model car? Hie thee to the junkyard and save thyself some money. I mean, it's not like you are going for huge style points here, these are winter only rims so a few scratches aren't going to hurt anything. Might even want to consider spending the $$ you save on some junkyard hubcaps for a little appearance improver, as not only will they make your car look better but they will also keep the road gunk away from your lugs and axle nuts.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Note: The following won't answer your question

I'd like to inject my own aside here. Once I got new tires for my trailer. I brought the old rims (with old tire) and the new tires to Canadian tire to get them to mount them. They needed the license plate number. I'm curious as to why they would need the license plate number when all they had was the rims, they weren't installing them. They said they required the plate number. So I went home and did it ourselves.

On another aside, ever notice how they need your phone number if you return something at CTC so they can track you when you bring things back? They absolutely have to have your number. The old "I don't have a phone" trick doesn't work. So we gave them our second line's phone number. This was before we got high speed. Once we got DSL (4 years ago) we ditched the second line, but keep giving it to them. I hope they never try to call it.

Reply to
Bill 2

Yep. People abuse return privileges, so they need to track'em.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

It's just as easy to give them different fake numbers, like payphone numbers.

Reply to
Bill 2

|> > On another aside, ever notice how they need your phone number if you |> return |> > something at CTC so they can track you when you bring things back? They |> > absolutely have to have your number. |>

|> Yep. People abuse return privileges, so they need to track'em. | |It's just as easy to give them different fake numbers, like payphone |numbers.

That's fine unless you need to return the item, you've lost your invoice, and you don't recall what number you gave them Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

They don't ask for the number when you purchase it, only when you return / exchange it.

Reply to
Bill 2

|> That's fine unless you need to return the item, you've lost your invoice, |and |> you don't recall what number you gave them |> Rex in Fort Worth | |They don't ask for the number when you purchase it, only when you return / |exchange it.

AZ gets all that up front. If you buy a used car with recently purchased parts (battery for example) from AZ, be sure to record the seller's phone number.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B