Honda 91 Civic goes with a bang in reverse

Hey, all,

I've got a worrisome but phantom problem with my 1991 Civic. When I'm backing up from a parking space, in other words, after turning the car on and putting it into reverse first thing, I'll get a little ways out of the space and hear a loud bang like I hit something and the car stops and won't back up anymore. It sounds and feels just like I hit a large object, but there's nothing there. The noise seems to come from the back of the car.

The first time was several months ago at Christmas. I could get it to produce a smaller noise the next few times then, but after the first time, it backed up and kept running. Nothing going forward that I noticed. I got a mechanic to come out to the house and he put the car up on ramps and checked the front and back suspension thoroughly and also ran it backwards and forwards and couldn't find anything. He couldn't even get it to make the noise. The car ran without problems since then, sevearl 100+ mile trips on interstates, several thousand miles of shorter trips.

Today without warning, it happened again. Backing up out of a parking space, wheels cocked in the opposite direction of what they were the first time this happened, and a very loud bang and the car stopped. Pulled it into a parking space, tried to back it up a little, and it stopped after a few feet. It felt exactly like it trying to roll over a large log. Tried to pull forward and this time it didn't even want to do that. Turned it off. let it sit for a few minutes and turned it back on again. At least I could get it forward into the space. Suspension looks absolutely normal, tires looks straight.

Anyone know what would cause this? I

Chris

Reply to
earlinerd

Manual or automatic transmission?

Ever had ANY body damage to the rear end?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Manual 5 speed. No damage that I know of. I'm the third owner. The previous ovner bought it with 31,200 miles on it. The records from the owner before me don't have anything about an accident, and they look pretty complete.

I've had the car a year and a half, for a little over 13,000 miles. The first time happend when I'd had the car about 11,300 miles. There were no symptoms of this up to that point.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

My first thought would be the tranny but your car is front wheel drive. You said the noise was coming from the rear of the vehicle so I would check the rear brakes. If you had one of the brake shoe hold downs rust through it could let the brake shoe move in reverse causing the shoe to jam against the drum. I would suggest you get it looked at soon.

Reply to
Mike

Will do - thanks.

Chris