Honda Civic Idle Surge

I am having trouble with my 1996 Honda 4door LX 4cyl engine M/N

16VJGKGE 1590. Every time I start the vehicle...after a few seconds the idle jumps to about 2500rpm then drops to 1000rmp.. then back up to 2500 over and over. I can get the idle to settle at 750 rpm per specs by tapping on the TPS (throttle position sensor), my action corrects the problem until I shut the engine off. The next time I start the engine it surges as before and again can only be corrected by tapping on the TPS. The part I need should cost about $50.00 and should be available at local auto parts stores, however it's not. Honda delers offer only the complete throttle body at about $550.00. The little $50.00 Part is already attached to the assembly that Honda provides. Anyone with answers on how I can lower the cost of correcting this problem or any experience with this issue please let me know. Thanks
Reply to
Mike Repair

Would spraying a lil wd 40 be wrong, or maybe some carb cleaner or fuel injector cleaner? It sounds like its stuck or something is blocking it from moving freely. Can you take the throttle body apart and inspect the TPS and maybe get it to move freely again? It may take some time, but I am sure it won't take you 550.00 worth of time.

Good Luck.

fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

OK, I know this doesn't answer your question but it has some good tips. It's a copy of an earlier post about another Honda problem:

"there is a Honda technical service bulletin number 98-042 that states that the repair takes around 2.5 hours.

the following site is a site for Honda techs:

go into "The Library" click on "accord" scroll down to "94-97 2.2 engine with crack in the block at exhaust manifold boss"

or the direct link:

So this doesn't solve your problem but use those links and search for your problem.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

Hi Mike, I may have given some out-of-date advice last time but let me try again.

Go to:

Not sure if this will show up as a link or you may have to copy and paste it into your browser. It says, "You are bidding on a used Throttle Position Sensor with the Green Gasket and Mounting Screws. This piece was pulled from a working 1996 Honda Civic. This sensor will work on all Honda and Acura cars with B series and D series throttle bodies between the years of 1988 to 2000. Always check to make sure before bidding. FOR JDM ENGINE SWAPS: Many TPS Sensors are broken due to poor shipping. This unit is perfect to replace your broken TPS Sensor The TPS sensor is not available as aftermarket and can only be purchased through honda by purchasing a brand new throttle body. Here is your chance to save big, so don't miss out."

It sounds like what you're looking for. Better check to make sure.

To find it, I did a search on eBay for "Honda throttle position sensor". The link above was not the only hit. There were some more. Try doing your own search.

Also, since it IS eBay, check the feedback of the seller.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

Thanks, I appreciate the time you have taken to help. I plan to get through this later today.

Reply to
mikejcarey839