honda hoses replacement

Hello, I went in for a oil change to the Honda dealer for my 2001 Accord LX. The service guy said that the hoses were getting soft and recommended to get all 9 of them replaced along with the thermostat. He quoted about $620 for this job. It seems rather high.

Is this a typical job for cars that are 8-9 years old? Is the price right?

Also, he said the oil pan gasket was getting wet and would cost $240 to have it replaced. again it seems high. Any opinions here?

Are there other shops who do a decent job with hoses and oil gasket and charge less? Honda does price matching to some extent.

Pls advise. Thanks

Reply to
lora

lora wrote in news:79df637d-3e92-40a5-a6be- snipped-for-privacy@a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

If the rad hoses are original, they're definitely in need of replacement.

If the thermostat is original, it's definitely in need of replacement as well.

It's normally the rad hoses that fail early and catastrophically, so you should change those. But the other hoses are a lot smaller and don't suffer nearly the same stresses. You can leave them alone for a few years yet.

However, this issue partly hinges on how diligent you've been with your coolant changes. All the hoses just /might/ be damaged if you're still running nine-year-old coolant, or are using aftermarket coolant that is incompatible with your Honda.

I'd get a second opinion from another dealership or independent if I were you.

"Getting wet" where? And with what? Oil?

At the drain plug? A Time-Sert is indicated by Honda to cure drain plug leaks. No $240 repair there.

At the pan gasket? You don't need to spend $240 to change a pan gasket or to make sure the bolts are properly tight.

/Anybody/ can do the jobs you've mentioned. But don't use aftermarket parts on your Honda. They are almost universally inferior to Honda's OEM. Independent garages can use Honda parts.

Reply to
Tegger

This just doesnt smell right, Lora. Is this a Honda dealership??

I would try to find an honest and capable independent mechanic and check the story.

If you will post your location, maybe someone will know a reputable mechanic in your area.

Reply to
hls

location is metro atlanta. How are the Goodyear shops?

Also, any suggestions on a fair price for radiator hose replacement?

be-

Reply to
lora

Also, any suggestions on a fair price for radiator hose replacement?

******** The radiator hose set, if purchased at NAPA, would cost you in the range of US$35-40 for the two hoses. Labor will be based upon a flat rate table. For example, if the shop charges $100 per hour, and this job takes a half hour, the cost would be about ($50+$40) $90. I dont know the flat rate for this job..

Goodyear stores are franchises, not independent shops. I dont think you could say they are necessarily good or bad. Depends on the local franchisee. We used to have a guy on the group named Kevin Mouton, and I believe he worked at Goodyear. He was as competent and honest a person as one could want, BUT some of these places may not be good.

AAA has a list of approved mechanics. You can go to their website and find the list. In general, those places are checked by AAA and have to meet some standards. It would be a good place to start. If you cant find the list, let me know and I will link it for you.

Reply to
hls

Also, any suggestions on a fair price for radiator hose replacement?

Try this link for Georga approved auto repair shops...

hls

Probably, being 9 years old. I'd change them just for peace of mind if it was my car. But I'd do it myself.

I dunno about this one. I've found that the thermostat can go a long, long time so long as the vehicle receives regular coolant flushes. I would not change this part unless it was failed.

Amen to that. Dealer parts, especially hoses, ALWAYS fit. The aftermarket parts are really a hit or miss. Usually a miss, in my limited experience anyway.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

If you can get dealer parts at a reasonable price, fine.

I have only had problems once with aftermarket rubber parts that didnt fit properly (top radiator hose for a 97 Dodge full size van) , and I cant remember ever having high quality aftermarket parts that didnt hold up acceptably.

In other words, I wouldnt pay a dealership $600 plus for a $100 job.

Reply to
hls

You can change the hoses yourself.Usually, the old hoses are on there so tight, it is like they are glued on there.Remove the hose clamps and wiggle a screwdriver blade under the clamps to loosen them up and wiggle them off.I usually use a knife blade and I slit the old hoses at the ends, that makes it easier to get them off.If you use a knife, be very, very careful.Always cut away from you so you won't accidently cut yourself.If it is one of those plastic radiators, don't use a knife.Wear leather gloves if you want to keep your hands clean and be sure the engine and coolant has had plenty of time to cool down. You can do many other maintnance jobs on your vehicle and save money. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

"hls" wrote in news:FMWdnTMeDv8oJ83WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Nor would I. I would just insist on OEM hoses. I also wouldn't replace more than the rad hoses unless the smaller ones have been damaged by ancient coolant. And we haven't actually seen the car, have we? So we have no idea of what kind of care it's had.

I'm going to get eye-rolling and hostility when I say this, but I'm convinced after years of experience that Honda's OEM suppliers put out, in ganeral, OEM-branded product that is vastly superior to anything the aftermarket makes, including often aftermarket parts produced by those same OEMs.

Reply to
Tegger

On newer models, the first coolant change is not needed until 120,000 miles or 10 years. I suppose the hoses will last at least that long.

Reply to
Bob Jones

Few people have those skills nowadays. The operation of a screw driver is far beyond the capability of my ex-wife.

Reply to
Paul

Some hose clamps have hex head screws on them.With a socket on a socket wrench, you can cramp them down really tight.No screwdriver needed. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:7782-4B514174-1117@storefull-

3172.bay.webtv.net:

Which damages them. I dislike the screw-type clamps for the exact reason that people often think they have to reef down on them as hard as they can.

Reply to
Tegger

They'll install the hoses no problem.

Then tell you your tires are getting bare.

Then tell you your brakes are shot.

They'll do the hoses for about $45, the tires for $300, and the brakes for $550...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

LOL! I was being facetious about Goodyear.

But they do manufacture their own hoses and they are good.

Try to find a good garage that charges an honest $45 an hour, and it will run you about $100 or so. And have him check the bolts on the oil pan. They may be a bit loose and causing the seeping.

Also, removing the bottom hose from the radiator is going to cause a LOT of coolant to be lost, so that pretty much takes care of the coolant replacement for this time.

Too bad no one is handy, these are all easy jobs. I'd do something like this in my back yard for parts and a carton of ciggies. (Butts are REAL expensive in Mass...probably cheaper to pay a mechanic $45 an hour!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Ok, I went in to the Goodyear that is AAA certified for a 2nd opinion. They said the hoses were getting dry, but does NOT need to be done right away. Also, he showed me the oil pan gasket and found that it was indeed a bit wet, but not leaking just yet. Again, he said the gasket didn't need to be changed, just yet, not until it starts dripping. But it was WET.

BTW, I have changed the coolant back in March 2005. the car is only at

65K now. I don't think it needs to be changed again.

About the hoses, for peace of mind, I'm thinking about just geting the radiator hoses like yall recommend. How about the other hoses? If any other ones have problems, the car would still be driveable, right?

btw, I was quoted $200 for the radiator hoses job and almost $200 for the oil pan gasket. They give 10% discount for aaa members. do you think this price is reasonable? Still seems high to me, but they do match competitor's written estimates.

they only use GOODYEAR PARTS. how do the goodyear hoses fare? anyone used them?

again, I welcome all your valuable comments. we only have 1 car for 4 people so I need the job done properly and also none of us are particularly handy.

many thanks.

Reply to
lora

yes and no. If a heater hose or other hose went you could bypass the heater at the side of the road and keep driving, but any hose failure means you have to stop and address it right away.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This is a 2001 car. If those hoses are original, get them all replaced asap. All of them. If ANY of them blow out then you are stranded and maybe with a blown engine as well. Me personally... I carry tools and can temp repair a hose long enough to get some where safe... or home. Forget the oil pan gasket. They all seep. If your state requires no leaks for its yearly inspection, like Texas, then use some surfactant and a water hose a day before the inspection.

And get the coolant replaced. 5 years is a too long unless you have been adding additional anti-corrosion agents every year.

I don't know Goodyear hoses. Goodyear either makes them or renames a oem version. I would imagine they are good.

Reply to
Paul

Check around your neighborhood, see if there is somebody who does his or her own auto maintnance/repair work.If so, ask him or her how much money to replace the hoses on your car.I think Goodyear hoses are just as good as any, you can buy hoses at your local area auto parts stores. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin