How can you get dirt out of a push lawn mower's gas tank?

Help! I noticed dirt in the gas tank of my push lawn mower so I tried taking out the dirty gas with a syringe. I got a good amount of the gas out but then the rubber plunger in the syringe kept coming off. I guess the gas was attacking the rubber. There still was a small amount of gas in the tank and still a lot of the dirt. I tried soaking up the remaining gas with a paper towel and tried to pick up some of the dirt also. I was wearing disposable gloves and the gas started weakening them and they started to split open. Did I make it worse now by wearing the disposable gloves? Some of the dirt still remains in the gas tank. How can I get rid of the dirt which is settled on the bottom? I called a lawn mower repair shop and the man said that the only was is to bring in the mower because they have a vacuum that will suck up the dirt. I don't know if this is true or is he just trying to make a buck. Does anyone know what I could do? The problem is that even though I got most of the gas out the dirt still remains. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Reply to
mcm4bw

Without knowing what kind of mower this is we can only guess.

Me? I'd just remove hose going to the carb, undo the two screws holding the tank to the mower, and take the tank right off. That way I could just dump the gas into a container and flush any dirt in the tank out with fresh gas.

Reply to
Noozer

likewise - I washed all my gas cans out this year with soap and water and let them dry thoroughly. I see no reason why you can't just take the tank off, swish some fresh gas in there and dump it into a suitable container.

Ray

Reply to
news

Why can't you take the tank off?

Reply to
PauL

This happens from time to time, sometimes even when you think you are being really careful to keep the gasoline clean.

Like some others on here, I take the tank off, and wash it really well with soap and water. You can blow it dry with compressed air, let it air dry, or disperse the water out of the tank with WD-40.

If there is a fuel filter (and there often isnt on simple push mowers) replace it at this time.

You will often find that, when you are having problem with an engine of this type related to fuel delivery, just cleaning the carburetor and replacing the diaphragm is not enough. Fuel tank cleanup may also be needed before you can make it run right again.

Reply to
hls

Most small engines of that ilk have an easy to remove float bowl. There will likely be one banjo style (hollow to be more precise) bolt holding the bowl to the carburetor. You may be able to take it off on the engine, otherwise you'll need to remove the carb first. Carb removal is also fairly easy; just take a digital pic of it while mounted on the engine so you can verify correct linkage orientation etc. during reassembly.

When removing the bowl be aware that there is a plastic float assembly inside just smaller than the bowl, so pull it off slowly and in a straight line away from the carb so as not to contact the float. I would suggest you don't mess with the float at all. Clean the bowl out with carb clean and spray through the hole in the bolt also, wearing safety glasses of course.

Remove the fuel tank and clean it out "upside down" in the same manner. All $$ included you could get a suitable Craftsman 1/4" socket kit to do this for ~ $25ish. $$ well spent if you consider the future need to do small maintenance jobs around the house and save $$ to boot.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Also: There may be baffles moulded into the bottom of the tank for fuel slosh containment. If so, you might as well be pushing water with a rake as to try and get that tank clean using your current method.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I have never had dirt in any of my lawn mower gas tanks before.Many years ago, one of my lawn mowers got so old, vibration and fatique caused the carburetor to crack in several places. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I have filled the tank and used a siphon hose to suck the stuff out of the bottom of the tank. Sometimes you need to fill the tank twice or more depending on the dirt. I use a coffee filter to recycle the siphoned stuff.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Help! I noticed dirt in the gas tank of my push lawn mower so I tried taking
Reply to
Mike Romain

Take the tank off, rinse it thoroughly with a little gasoline and put it back on. It is really a simple job. But if you do not feel comfortable working around gasoline (many people do not), then take your mower to a local repair shop and let the experts give it a tuneup along with cleaning the gas tank.

Reply to
John S.

Best results will come with removal of the tank and washing out of the dirt while held upside down. But I would use soap and water for the washing with thorough air drying before mounting the tank again. I really doubt the vacuum story as the vacuum machine would have to accept gasoline and that is just too dangerous for any device stored inside a building. Odds are they would use compressed air to blow it out and that would take place well outside their building(s). Upside down with water would still be the best for dirt removal, IMO.

Reply to
melee5

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote: I

Have you ever owned a tropical fish tank? They sell 'vacuum systems' for those that work really well to clean the gravel at the bottom of the tank.

They are simply a siphon hose with a large clear end on one side so you can see the stuff you are picking up and hopefully stop it in time to not suck up a fish.

Any small siphon hose will 'vacuum' out the bottom of the gas tank easily, I have done a bunch over the years.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Why not just remove the gas tank, fill it with some gas, slosh it around, dump, repeat till clean?

Reply to
Steve

Tip the mower over (upside down) into a flat drain pan???

Bob

Reply to
Bob Flumere

a firecraker.....should work very nicely.

Reply to
Marsh Monster

You over complicate...

All that's needed is a match.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Tip the mower over,,,, At first, that is what I was going to say.He could drill a hole in the bottom of the gas tank and let the dirt run out. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You can drain the oil out and then turn the mower over and flush the dirt out of the gas tank.Replace the oil and put gas in the gas tank.It won't hurt anything, might smoke for a little while when you crank the mower back up. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin