How did the police 'reverse gps' this car today, to track down the suspect?

Tell me about it. A few years ago we were coming back from Nova Scotia and decided to stop and see Campobello Island (FDR).

The TOM-TOM map for the island was completely wrong. It had us driving in the middle of lakes and even the ocean.

/d

Reply to
DEG

Well I'd expect them to have a backup battery - and alert the system / dispatch if power is cut, but I would have thought the primary power would be hard wire.

Reply to
Evan Platt

If they were smart, they would tap the vehicle power supply for normal every day use. Then the battery would last considerably longer. Depending on the nature of the battery, yeah it could literally last years.

I've had my car's key fob battery seven years and haven't replaced the battery yet.

Reply to
richard

Ok. Had a look at that system. Interesting. Although I saw nothing that said GPS was being used. But it would not be difficult to have some kind of signal sent to the office showing where the vehicle is.Even without the knowledge of the driver.

Reply to
richard

There's a huge difference in power consumption between a car key fob battery and a device that not only has to get a GPS Signal, but then transmit a cellular data packet very likely a dozen or more times a day.

Reply to
Evan Platt