how difficult is a valve adjustment on a 3EE Toyota?

Hi All,

I have a 1994 Tercel that a friend asked me to sell. It is making a loud tapping noise that is coming from the valve cover, it sounds exactly like a stuck hydraulic lifter. However in my research this car has the 3EE engine which has no lifters?

I'm guessing it is just that it needs a valve adjustment, the engine also idles rough like it has a cylinder miss, and that cooresponds with the frequency of the tapping.

Plugs on this were oil fouled and it failed emissions with high THC of

2.48 g/mi MAX and very low CO, of about 3.4 g/mi MAX, I replaced the plugs and put new wires, cap & rotor on it, it still fails with high THC which is now 4.2 g/mi but the CO has gone up to a more normal 26.4 g/mi

Apparently the owner got it to pass inspection for the last 2 or 3 times by replacing spark plugs and pouring in a bottle of drygas to the fuel tank.

Unfortunately the owner (like a lot of people planning to sell a car) pretty much ignored maintainence on it, it was low on oil and the oil was pretty black, I changed it. The oil level is at the F mark and the tapping noise started up about 3 miles after changing the ignition components and about 40 miles after changing the oil. At least the engine did stop smoking after changing the ignition components.

I'm pretty much at the end of what I want to spend money on it, so suggestions like replacing the head is pretty much out. The new owner can do that. Would there be a chance of getting rid of the tapping noise with a valve adjustment or getting it past emissions?

Mr. Question

Reply to
Toyota Questioner

just bite the bullet and change the head

Reply to
prt

You're not supposed to run your car on hash oil.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

I guess you don't know that the BAR 31 test method part of the EPA designated Enhanced test uses the acronym THC to indicate Total HydroCarbons. Maybe someone who worked at the EPA and designed that test partook of the herb?

Reply to
Toyota Questioner

It's an unfortunate acronym. Sort of like the British term for limited-slip differentials: LSD.

Hmmm. THC, LSD... Cars are fun, aren't they?

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Toyota has made lots of high-quality reliable vehicles. That Tercel is NOT one of them. It's a lost cause.

Don

Don