How do I check BMW transmission fluid?

I'm reluctant to propose such a simple question when among so many experts I see out here. But can someone please tell where to check the transmission fluid in my 1994 BMW 325i? It appears to be leaking (pinkish) and I'd like to check. Thanks, Susan

Reply to
szq

Approximately 11/20/03 15:19, szq uttered for posterity:

If an auto, there will be a stick for it much like the oil stick. Located along the rear of the motor. Difference is that you check the transmission fluid with the car idling in Park and after driving long enough to warm it up.

Also check your power steering fluid which is about the same color.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Not only that but many BMWs use ATF for the power steering system!

Reply to
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

Well, no, there won't be a "stick for it" and no the PS fluid is not the same color.

Why answer if you don't know what you are talking about?

The fluid level is checked as level with the filler opening, with the fluid at a specific and narrow temp range, and vehicle level.

Adding fluid is done via the filler plug, under the car, and the boxes are pretty picky as to the fluid type, which varies. Labels on the box will tell you whats in there.

You may want to c>> Approximately 11/20/03 15:19, szq uttered for posterity:

Reply to
spare-me-spam

Many BMWs use Dexron ATF in their power steering system. As the OP was talking aboput a pinkish leak (and STF is that color), I think it's quite reasonable to check the PS system too.

Reply to
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

And many use CHF 11S which is near colorless.

So, maybe the thing to do is get under the thing and have a look, dontcha think? --

Reply to
spare-me-spam

My 96 Bimmer has no dipstick, it appears to be welded shut. In other words, it's a lifetime ATF.

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

My 15 year old Honda transmission is almost 300K mi - works like brand new? A Beammer can do better than that. The price of a Beammer is 7 times of that Honda. If you're correct, where do I find a lifetime fluid for a `96 318ti? Ric

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus