How do remove really old tape ?

I've got a 96 windstar. The backside window broke 1 sept 07' I taped it up with (beige) packing tape when it happened. The tape served well all winter. I replaced the window mar 08.

The freaking tape won't come off the body/paint of the van.!

I dont want to use a razor to scrape it off. What solvent or chemical will dissolve old tape without screwing up the paint?

Thanks!

Reply to
mpdsville1

WD-40

Reply to
why, me

I'd add gasoline as usual fluids in car like gas, oil, windshield washer fluid or antifreeze that contact car surfaces frequently should not hurt the paint. I would exempt brake and transmission fluids.

Reply to
Frank

lacquer thinner

Reply to
Tim B

used sparingly and lightly. Otherwise it may barf up the paint something horrible.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The first thing I would try would be a cleaner-wax. If that didn't work something like show car glaze. If that failed something like swirl remover and if that didn't work heavy-cut cleaner. These are all products for polishing and removing scratches/defects in paint. They are also good for taking off stuff on the surface without causing damage. (although if takes heavy cut cleaner a little paint will be removed and it will need to be followed up with the show car glaze)

The stuff I mentioned by name is listed at

but there are probably products of other brands that work just as well.

Reply to
Brent P

That might be a good place to start.

Kerosene is usually safe enough on automobile paint since it is a poor solvent for dried paint bases. Vegetable oil or even mineral oil or Vaseline is also pretty safe. These, being poor solvents, are not likely to remove tape adhesive quickly but they may slowly soften it and aid in its removal.

All need to be checked first on a painted area that is not critical.

I would never use lacquer thinner... Too strong a solvent.

Reply to
HLS

Yup. You have just discovered the difference between quality gaffer's tape, and crappy packing tape. There is a reason why gaffer's tape costs ten times as much. It saves you money in the long run.

You will have to scrape it off, then use naptha or goo-gone (which is naptha and d-limonene) to get the residue off. You may find yourself having to resort to jeweler's rouge and taking some of the paint off as well if that doesn't work.

Almost certainly you will have to repair damage to the clearcoat, and even if not you will have to wax it.

Sorry about that. Use gaff tape next time, and don't leave it on so long.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Teatree, orange or peppermint essential oil will remove it without damaging the paint.

Reply to
Bret

Have you actually tried tea tree oil? It has a lot in common with turpentine (which I would be very hesitant to use without testing it).

Nowadays, I have gotten very concerned with the clear coat that is used on a lot of cars. It seems to turn white and bubble up over time, especially when exposed to the elements.

Reply to
HLS

There are a lot of tape removers available for sale. Goo Gone, Duck Tape Remover are but a few. WD40 will also work.

Reply to
John S.

Thanks To All..

What Worked.. WD-40 and a pre-approved credit card I got in the mail last week. Soak, Wait 20 mins, Scrape, repeat.

Them Pre Approved cards do nicely as a kitchen counter cleanup tool as well..

MPD

Reply to
mpdsville1