How do you buy a new car without Extended Policy?

Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a new car. I have to tell you that I hate dealing with car salesman. Lately I have been emailing dealers to find out what they have and to get an idea of price. After a few emails back and forth, I usually let them know that I absolutely do not buy Extended Service Plans and I do not wnat to hear their sales pitch. That usually kills the deal. They won't return emails after that.

Do they really make that much money on those useless policies?

Robert

Reply to
Finite Guy

Mike Behnke

Go down to the dealership and deal in person.

Yes.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Finite Guy wrote in rec.autos.tech

all they are doing with emails is giving you a starting place for negotioations. The real work starts when you walk in the door. And when you don't go in right away they saleman will lose interest If you live in a large metropolitan area there will be several dealers who will have what you want, thus you can pick and choose. Start with a reputable dealer, go in, pick the car you want, negotiate the best price, and when they try to sell you the extended warranty tell them no. When they start pushing it hard, tell them you are going to walk. If they still keep it up, walk and go somewhere else. Not all dealers are that hard sell on the warranties. But yes, they do make alot of money off of those warranties.

Reply to
Dick C

Finite Guy wrote in article ...

I would ask, "Why do I need such a warranty? Is the car you are trying to sell me that big a piece of garbage?"

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Racing Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin