How does a vehicle pass Maryland emissions with the engine light on?????

'06 colorado 4cyl motor. Company vehicle.. The engine light has been on for over a year. I wasn't there during the test (our driver was). Engine li ght never goes out so codes have to be stored. Goodyear tire center told us we have internal engine problems though it does run good.

Just goes to show what a scam emissions is.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Depends on what the code is and what test is being used and what the regulations are with regards to the MIL in your state.

Reply to
Brent

Only way legally is if they have a waiver. Those are good for 2 years. BUT you have to spend over $400.00 trying to fix it before they will grant the waiver!

They have the same "Light is on = automatic fail" rule for light trucks and cars as NY does so ????

Reply to
Steve W.

Precisely. To my mind, it goes to show how in his location it's _not_ a scam. Apparently they just test the emissions and let you go if they meet spec, which is how an emissions testing program would go if the point was to actually decrease emissions.

When they start checking other things besides actual emissions, THEN it's clear that a scam is going on and they are doing it to increase revenue rather than decrease smog.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If MIL on = automatic fail then there was a screw up.

Reply to
Brent

Eric Peters (I think he lives in Virginia) has an article similar to that.

click on where it says Politics and then click on where it says Inspections.

Reply to
JR

I just put a code reader on it. It came up with two codes.

PO017 - Cam/Crankshaft Position Correlation Sensor B Bank 1 (was replaced) PO300 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected.

Reply to
m6onz5a

The second was probably caused by the first. Just clear them and see if it comes back since the part was replaced otherwise the MIL will stay on until an entire drive cycle is completed. If it was replaced some time ago then there's something else going on that makes it think the sensor isn't working right. But off the top of my head the ones I can think of would be various sorts of catastropic failures like a broken cam shaft.

Reply to
Brent

Don't recall off hand, did that sensor replacement also include a relearn??

Reply to
Steve W.