how does BMW get 50:50 balance with I6?

BMW claim 50:50 weight distribution for 5 series, which have straight 6 engine. The only other sedan I know using I6 is Ford Falcon, and they have 56:44 distribution, worst of all RWD cars. Most other manufacturers use a V6 to achieve 50:50 (or 51:49).

Reply to
pedro1492

Just need to place it far enough back or have enough weight in the weight in the back.

Reply to
Brent

Yeah, the engine is rather far forward in the Falcon, supposedly for crash protection. Presumably BMW were smarter at achieving 5 star crash ratings. Also when you shift a longitudinal engine, you are dragging 200 pounds of gearbox with it, so 2 inches can make quite a difference to balance of a car.

Reply to
mbjorn