How Important is the Position Index Boss on Banjo Fittings?

The brake hose on my '94 Camry sprung a leak this morning. I bought a replacement at Auto Zone, but it doesn't fit right.

There's a little indexing tit/boss near the banjo fitting that is supposed to slip into a hole in the casting. The distance between the boss and the fitting is too short in the replacement hose, and it is not possible to install the fitting. Because I need the car tomorrow I inverted/reversed the fitting and installed it backward. It's working fine -- no leaks, brakes work great.

My question is, what's the purpose of that boss? It obviously isn't required for the banjo fitting to seal and work.

Here's a picture of the fitting as I installed it

jim evans

Well it is supposed to hold the fitting in place to keep the motion of the brakes from trying to loosen the fitting.

Maybe elongate the hole OR find the correct hose.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for your reply.

By, "motion of the brakes" what do you mean? The only thing I see that moves is the wheel when turning corners, etc. The banjo bolt is cranked down pretty tight -- it doesn't seem likely to come loose. I had to get a breaker bar to get it loose to change it.

After market hoses never seem to fit right. The other side split about a year ago. I tried 4 different brands and none fit properly. I eventually bought a original equipment part from Toyota for 4 times the price. They aren't open on Sunday and I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this job over.

Reply to
jim evans

I don't think normally it will matter. Normally there is very little force on the hose end or the fitting. But if you were to grab the hose in the middle and give it a tug in the right direction you could cause the fitting and the bolt to turn and loosen up. In the winter when ice and snow pack in the wheel wells under the right conditions might be able to cause that sort of force to be applied.

-jim

Reply to
jim

A lot of brake hoses don't have anything resembling that pin, just a simple banjo fitting. That said, I'm ASSuming that those Toyota engineers put it there for a reason so... well... you pays your money and you takes your chances.

If you do decide to replace it with a Toyota hose, I'd try to return the other one on principle, and explain why you're returning it. One would think that something like that wouldn't be that hard to make work correctly.

I suppose bending the pin to make it fit in its hole isn't possible?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Well, if that's the reason, I'm safe. I'm in Houston. :-)

Reply to
jim evans

I thought of trying that, but that's a hefty piece of metal and I couldn't think of any way of grabbing the banjo fitting without scarring the sealing surfaces.

Reply to
jim evans

You know what the definition of insanity is don't you?

How much was that?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The way it is being held right now, it looks like it would have been easy to bend.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Perhaps the wrong hose? Maybe different part numbers for different models (DX, LE, SE) or engines (2.2, 3,0). The "finger" might have been accidentally bent in packing. Does the finger just not match the location of the hole, or does it go in too deep, making the fitting rock?

Keeps the fitting from rotating due to brake line flexing, and makes sure it's pointing in the right direction (if there's very little "slack" designed in).

Kind of hard to see... is there a nice new copper washer on *both* sides?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

On Mon, 04 May 2009 19:25:10 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
jim evans