How many cars have you owned and TCO?

In my 40 yrs of car ownership I have owned and driven: (x) yrs owned; [xxx,yyy] xxx = purchase price, yyy = selling price

  1. 65 Plymouth Fury III (1) Junk [0,0]
  2. 73 Merc Capri (2) a little better than Junk [2600,2000]
  3. 76 Pontiac Firebird (2) Junk [5000,5000]
  4. 79 Pontiac grand prix (14) Junk [9000,1300]
  5. 90 Acura Integra (17+) Best by far and still going strong [12,000,n/a]

Total cost net of trade ins: $21,000

Estimated total cost of repairs (over 40 yrs) < $2,500

Needless to say I do almost all work myself

All cars were driven approx 12k/yr

Reply to
Mat

  1. 1974 Toyota Corolla 1200, 25 brand new, not bad for a high school kid. As far as maintenance, what's that?
  2. 1969 Chevy 108 van. What's an oil change?

  1. 1973 Volvo 1800ES. Nickled and dimed me almost to death when I flipped it over. At 19 I thought I knew everything...

  2. 1972 Toyota Corona. Wreck. Paid 00 which was 00 too much. Junked it.

  1. 1975 Dodge Aspen Wagon. Still only 19. Couldn't get out of it's own way, and the three-on-the-tree didn't help.

  2. 1978 Toyota Corolla 1200. Another car with an engine as big as a Harley. This was a keeper, 00 brand new. 21, and now know what oil filter, spark plugs and wires do. Unfortunately, a 1972 Mustang didn't want me to keep this car, only made it to 50,000.

  1. 1980 Corolla SR5 "Trueno", but we didn't get the twin cam engine like the rest of the world did. Got sideswiped while parked at 1 year, but the work was done well. This went 6 years and 244,000 miles. A lot of stuff done by me, but still limited...traded for

  2. 1985 Corolla GTS (seeing a trend here?) "Trueno". This one *DID* get the 1.6L Twin Cam, and an LSD as well. Never hit. Stolen twice. First time I had to rebuild the car, second time they had to rebuild the thief.
258,000, last driven in 2004, still sitting in my back yard waiting for "rust work"...and waiting. But that's another story.

  1. 1990 Nissan 240SX. It had the looks! It had the balls! It had NO build quality at all! The worst car I ever loved. Bought it in 2001 with

128,000, sold it as soon as I found out the timing chain was going. But this car taught me brakes and a little more about electrical.

  1. 1995 Toyota Tercel. Back to the econoboxes. A girl traded it in on a purple 1999 Escort. I got it with 99,998 and ran it up to 140,000. Nice little car.

  2. 1994 Chrysler LHS. This was a freebie, and as much as I don't like big American cars, this was a REALLY nice car! got it with 142,000 and traded it with 168,000.

  1. 1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager. It was a trade in I sold to someone who kept it for a year and then gave it back. Same guy that gave me the LHS. I gave it back to him 4 months later, with the doors fixed, one window replaced and the sway bar reattached.

  2. 1983 Toyota Tercel AWD wagon. Another freebie. It was rusty and painted Krylon green, with an 'exterior white' house paint roof. I sanded it all down, fiberglassed the rust and painted it BRIGHT YELLOW!!!! I mean, Glow In The Dark! Drove it for a year, the rust started coming back, so I gave it away and took in a...

  1. 1985 Toyota Celica GTS. 0. A rolling wreck that kept rollong, till it dropped a spring on a tire. That was enough. Wasn't good enough to put any more effort into, even though a frien had just put in a 1991 2.4L

22R-E from a truck.

  1. 1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager (another trend?)0 This one was AWD, but had no heat in the winter. Wish I had known about the blend door, because I broke a bunch of bolts trying to get the water pump out. Gave it away.

  2. 1988 Toyota Supra with a Sport Roof. 0. This is the reason the Corolla is rusting into the grass behind the house. It ran well, but neede a "few" things (gas tank, trans, timing belt...). It gets the money that should be going to the Corolla. I sold the Tercel to buy with, with enough cash left over for the timing belt (still hadn't learned enough to tackle that job). Registered in 2006, it lives in a heated garage in the winter. Was going to do the suspension this year, but the head gasket decided it wanted all the attention. I am attempting this chore myself...

  1. 1989 Mazda 626. This is a 'daily driver'. I paid 0 for it with

158,000 on it. Friday it rolled 190,000 and keeps chugging. It looks OK outside, but is loaded with boxes and a tool kit for my job, and goes about 75-125 miles a day. The first axle took me 9 hours. The second one took me 3...

  1. 2005 Scion tC. ,650. Another car that spends most of it's time parked and looking good. I traded the Chrysler LHS for it, a move I still kick myself on a regular basis for. For a lousy 0, I should have kept the LHS. Has 30,000 miles on it...just. If it rains, I take the Mazda. Sometimes if it doesn't rain, I take the Mazda...

  2. 1989 Subaru GL Hatchback, 0 3 speed AT and AWD. Bought this while I was delivering newspapers while between jobs. It's a tank! When the Supra comes off the road in Novemeber, the plates go on this. It too has started returning to the element from which it came, but it runs great, so maybe two more years. First timing belt job I ever did. And what a bonus! Not one, but TWO belts! it was a snap! It also had a leaky head gasket, but Bar's head gasket repair took care of that.

  1. 1997 Subaru Legacy wagon. 0. Was on the road for a week when I discovered it was overheating because of a BHG. Sits in the back yard, waiting for a head gasket. Maybe in September...

  2. 1992 Dodge Grand Caravan. Not AWD. Did I mention I play bass in a band. These things are GREAT, and they made so many of them parts are a dime a dozen, even from Chrysler. Needs an alternator. I'm lazy this summer. Hey, I got the belt off, and didn't snap anything!

Also, brand new 1985 VW Jetta (acutally #9) $8500. I bought it for the wife (first wife). What a POS. Regular oil changes, maintenance, and it still fell apart. Traded it for a 1987 Toyota Corolla (#10) sedan $9200, another great Toyota that wound up getting traded because the wife got a cramp in her leg in rush hour and DEMANDED an AT, so after 14 months and

35,000 miles we traded for a 1988 Honda Accord 'stripper' (#11) $8650, almost free because of the value of the Corolla. it was a leftover we bought in early '88, and she kept it after the divorce in 1991. I think because of the expert care it got early in it's life from me, it went to 220,000 miles. The second wife (and two kids) were packed into a....1992 Dodge Caravan!!! $12,750. Yes indeed. The first one. Had the 3.0 liter Mitsubishi nightmare, but never caused any trouble.

My Favorites? Hard to say. All the Corollas were great cars, I think in order the GTS, then the Corolla SR5, then the Supra, the Volvo, and the Scion. The LHS is in here as well. I never really had a bad car, except maybe the 1969 Nova beater I drove for three months and didn't even count here.

Here's the surprise. The most comfortable car out of them all is the '89 Subaru Hatch. This is a really comfortable car to drive, then the Honda.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Come on?!?! 25 hundred in 40 years?!?! That comes to $62.50 a year in parts! I don't believe it!!!

Reply to
willy

willy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Somehow it's always the first time posters here isn't it? And only in the summer.

Reply to
chuckcar

Snip This covers 55 years of my life.

33 Chev 2 door sedan. 34 Plymouth Coupe 1940 Willys Coupe 1941 Buick twin carbs straight 8 Sedan 1942 Chev Club Coupe (yes 1942) 1952 Ford F 100 truck 1956 Ford ThunderBird 1957 Ford F100 truck 1967 Ford Bronco 1970 GMC Suburban 4WD 1971 Ford F100 truck 1985 Cadallic Eldorado 1998 Oldsmobile 98 2001 Infiniti QX4 Best off road ever owned 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan.

Also 5 Harley Davidsons, Many Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasaki's Still have the Infiniti and Dodge and 1 Yamaha. WW

Reply to
WW

So for the "junk" you wound up with an average cost of $388 per year. For you "best" you are spending $588 (assuming you could get $2000 for it now, which is unlikely) Looks like the "junk" was the better deal.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

  1. 1970 Olds Delta 88 0
  2. 1964 Chevrolet Corvair (didn't quite get this one on the road) 0
  3. 1976 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr. 0
  4. 1975 Ford Granada (the first & last Ford I will own) 0
  5. 1991 Chevrolet S-10 pickup (my only new purchase) ,000
  6. 1982 Olds Cutlas Calais 00
  7. 1965 Chevrolet Corvair 00 (daily driver for 6 years - put 50k on it)
  8. 1989 Olds Cutlas Ciera (freebie)
  9. 1982 Dodge Van (got it after my father passed away)
  10. 1989 Plymouth Breeze (another freebie but needed motor) current vehicle
  11. 2001 Dodge Ram Van 2500HD current vehicle

I did own several Corvairs that never made on the road too. The '64 listed above was road worthy, but being 16 at the time and not knowing where parts were at the time I couldn't get her through inspection.

Reply to
m6onz5a

I bought my first new car in 1971..so I guess I am close to having owed cars for 40 years. I have a hard time remembering what they all cost, but here is a shot at my list

1972 Ford Pinto - $2100 (?) - first new car. It was a terrific car. I drove it to college for four rears and regularly autocrossed it. It did well. After I graduated from college, I sold it to my Sister who drove it for another 3 years. Then I got it back as a computer car and drove it for one more year before selling it for somewhere around $600. In the 7 or 8 years we owned it, it only needed three repairs - a starter (which burned up becasue I had water in the gas but it was was under wrranty), a throttle cable (it broke becasue I modified it to raise the accelerator pedal for autocrossing) and a timing belt that broke when my sister owned the car. I doubt we spent $100 on actual repairs in the time we owned the car.

1975 Datsun 280Z - $6500 - This was a new car that I bought this when I got my first job out of college (1975). I only kept it for 3 years and around

50k miles. I loved the car but it did have some issues. The clutch was a pain in the ass for as long as I owned the car. Virtually every componet related to the clutch was replaced. I never got it working right, although eventually the friend I sold it to claims he did (after replacing everything again). The interior bits were fragile. I sold the car becasue after one winter in Michigan it had already started to rust. I also had problems with the fuel injection - the car would stall for no reason. Eventually we traced that to a loose connection (after the dealer tried unsuccessfully to stick me with the cost of a new fuel pump). The car constantly spit wheel covers (I usually could find them, but had to buy several repalcemets). Shortly after my friend bought the car, the exhaust system collasped internally (leading to a "no power condition). It took us a day to figure that out.

1963 Austin-Healey Sprite Mark 3 - I bought this car in pieces for $300 in

1977 and assembled it in the parking lot of an apartment while I was in graduate school. It was a typical British car - I spent as much time fixing it as I did driving it. The unique feature was the hand made (by me) wooden dash (necessary beacause the car didn't come with one).

1968 Austin-Healey Sprite - I bought this car from under a pine tree in

1977. It had significant rust but ran. I intended to restore it, but sold it when I got an out of state job. I never actually drove it except to take it home.

1978 Ford Fairmont Futura - Purchased new in 1978 for around $5300. This was the first time I purrchased a car and regretted it before the car was a month old. Mechanically the car was great. Cosmetically it was a disaster area. It had runs in the paint, a body seam wasn't properly sealed (allowing water into the passenger compartment), and it had a god awful vinyl roof. But boy would it go. It had a 302 V8 and was much faster than the Datsun

280Z it replaced. It was also quiet. It handled reasonably well for such a nose heavy car. I only kept it for about a year and 30k miles. I hated it.

1974 Jensen-Healey - I bought this off the side of the road (broken down) in 1978. I fixed the problems (water pump, radiator, fuel pump) and drove it for a couple of years. It was invoved in a chain collision and I did the repairs myself. Eventually I got tired of the lack of A/C, the constant drone of the engine, and the constant maintenance needed to keep it going (clutch, transmission, valve adjustment, wheel alignment, etc., etc., etc.). I loved the way it drove on a nice sunny day with the top down. In the winter with a cheap hard top installed - not so much. I eventually sold the car to a local guy who drove it for a few months and then burned up the engine (engine fire when gasahol destroyed the fuel line tee between the carburetors). I actually bough the wreck back, with intentions of repairing it, but after I got married I never got the chance. I eventually sold the car (and the parts car mentioned below) as a pacakage deal.

1974 Hensen-Healey - this was a wreck I bought for parts. It actually sort of ran but it had been in a wreck and the front end was a mess.

1973 Ford Pinto - I bought this in 1979 from my older Sister to use while I repaired the 1974 Jensen-Healey mentioned above. My parents had purchased this Pinto new in 1972 for my Sisters to drive. My older sister finally got a new car in 1979 and I bought this because I need a car to use temporarily while I fixed the Jensen-Healey. I only drove it for about 6 months and then sold it to a co-worker for his kids to drive. They drove if for at least another 4 years before it weas sold again. Another terrific car. I never did anything to it. The co-worker replaced a rocker arm to elimiate a valve tick (my Sister was notorious for not having her oil changed).

1981 Plymouth Reliant K- Purchased new in 1980. I have no idea what I was thinking when I bought this car. It drove great (2.2L, 4 speed manual). It got decent gas mileage. It was quiet and very comfortable. However, in the 11 months I owned it, it was in the shop at least a dozen times (clutch cable, transmissiom, dash rattles, accessory drive, etc., etc., etc.). I traded it in after 11 months,. However, becasue this was the age of inflation, I got almost as much for it in trade as I paid for it new (the MSRP of cars increased weekly back then).

1981 Audi Coupe - I purchased this to replace the Plymouth. Decent car but sort of dull. It had nice front seats. The rear seats were big but hard to get into. The fuel economy was decent. I liked the car OK, but never really "loved it." It took a year to get the A/C working properly and "properly" was an exaggeration. I only kept if for 2.5 years and 50k miles (just got bored with it).

1979 For Courier - My Father gave me this truck in 1982 when he got a new Ranger. I drove it for less than a year. Only problem was a failed vaccum modulator. BUT the thing had a horrible ride, no A/C, no room, and no radio. I sold it and did not miss it.

1983 Mazada 626 Five Door - I purchased this new in 1983. I have no idea why. Within weeks of buying it, I hated it. It didn't have enough head room. The A/C never worked right. The rear package shelf and exterior trim faded in less than 2 years. Yet, my Sister wanted the car, so I sold it to her after 2 years. She drove it for a number of years but eventually it developed over heating issues (blown head gasket) and she dumped it to.

1978 Ford Fiesta - I got this in 1985 when I sold my Sister the Mazda. I loved this car! It was fun to drive. I kept it for only 3 years (135k total miles). I did manage to burn a piston (driving flat out with the EGR not working was probably a bad idea) but it only took a couple of hours to replace the piston. If the car had A/C I would have kept it much longer.

1986 Mercury Sable - I ordered this car and picked it up early in 1986. I loved the car. It was the best car I ever owned. Comfortable, good gas mileage, roomy, reliable, etc. I drove it for 10 years and 135k miles. A friend bought it and drvoe it past 200k before stuffing it into a tree. Did I mention, I loved this car?

1983 Toyota Cressida - this car came with my wife. It was a horrid piece of crap. It was slow, cramped, unreliable. The paint, trim, and interior bits faded despite the fact the car was parked in a garage much of the time. The alternator failed every August. The starter failed. The tranmsission started acting up. The A/C failed. I hated this car. We dumped it with less than 50k miles when it was 6 years old.

1986 Ford Ranger Pick-up. My father gave me this truck after it was damaged in an accident. I repaired the damage and drove it for a year or so before it was fatally damaged by a falling tree. The only part that ever failed was the ignition module. Decent enough truck, and I would have kept it except for the tree damage.

1989 Ford Taurus Wagon - bought this for the wife to replace the Cressida. It had the 3.8L V6 which in my opinion was not as good as the 3.0L V6 in the Sable. It went with the wife when we got divorced. It was reliable while we were married, but the ex griped about it later. Not sure what the problem was. Didn't really care.

1992 F150 - I bought htis to repalce the wrecked 1986 Ranger. Terrific truck. I drove it for 14 years. Until it was 12 years old it never ahd any problems. The last couple of years requied the A/C to be recharged and the fuel pump replaced. I gave it to my son, who managed to damage thetransmission. Rather than pay to fix a 14 year old truck, I sold it. It turns out the transmission fix was only $600. It was an excellent truck that got a lot of abuse on my farm.

1996 Ford Explorer - I bought this new in 1995. It was a nice vehicle. It had the best front seats of any vehicle I ever owned (optional sports seats). I only kept it a year and 32k miles becasue I decided I wanted an Expedition. However, I was able to sell it for with in a few thousand of the original price, so it worked out great.

1997 For Expedition - I ordered this truck and picked it up in May of 1997. I loved it. I drove it for 5 years and 149k miles. Only significant problems were a bad alternator and 1 bad coil pack. I traded it on a new 2003 Expedition in 2002.

2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible- I bought this as a second car and loved it. Only problem was a minor oil leak fixed under warranty. When my younger son was about to 16 I decided to get rid of it. I miss it.

2003 Ford Expedition - I bought this to replace the 1997 Expedition. In some ways it was better, but I never liked it as much. Only problem was a bad power window (fixed under warranty). I decided I didn't need an SUV and sold it with about 100k miles on the odometer.

2003 Saturn Vue - I bought this to replace the Mustang. It had a 4 cylinder engine and the CVT transmission. As long as I drove it, it was fine. When my son turned 16, I gave it to him to drive. It lasted less than 6 months before the transmission failed (fixed under an extended warranty), then the horn failed (required a new air bag ro fix), the coil assembly failed (might have been related to the mud all over the engine), etc. I got rid of the car at this point. I gave my son the F150 and bought myself a new truck.

2004 Ford Thunderbird - I bought this used (but with less than 3000 miles) off of Ebay. I loved the car. Only real negative was the limited headroom with the hardtop installed. I only kept the car for a couple of years and

30k miles. I never had any problems and sold it for almost as much as I paid for it. I miss it.

2006 Nissan Frontier. I bought this to replace the F150 I gave to my son. The truck had some nice features - good A/C, good 4WD system with"electronic" traction control, great power, good tranmssions,etc. It also had some significant negatives - poor load carrying capacity, a cramped cabin (despite being an Kig Cab), lousy gas mileage. I drove it for about

65k miles. In the end, it jsut was not a good farm truck, or a good vehcile for driving long distances. It is probably a great vehcile for an averaged size person who doesn't really need a truck but wants one.

1992 (?) Firebird - I bought this POS for my Son. It was a horror show. Eventually the engine started knocking (after I repalced the clutch and shocks) and we ditched it.

2006 Ford Mustang V6 Coupe - not really my car, I bough it for my younger son. After he trashed the Saturn Vue and the F150, I decided to try a new car. This has worked out better. While the car was under warranty he had a rear end problem, but since then, everything has been OK. It must be the toughest car on the planet.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis - When I sold the 203 Expedition, I purchased this car from my Mother. I thought I would keep it as a people mover and the

2004 Thunderbird as my everyday car. This didn't work out. I hated the Grand Marquis. It was dead solid reliable and got great gas mileage, but it was too large and handled like crap (too spongy for me). I decided I had too many cars in the lot, so eventually I traded it.

2007 Ford Fusion - I bought this to replace the Grand Marquis and the Thunderbird. It is a great car. My only complaint is the relatively poor gas mileage. I got a V6 AWD model. I like the AWD, but if I was buying again, I would go for the FWD version. I've had the car for almost three years and

70k miles and have had zero problems. It is better than the 1986 Mercury Sable in some ways, but overall I think the 1986 Sable was a better car (the Sable was somewhat larger and got better gas mileage).

2008 Mazda3 - I bought this for my older son. I rarely drive it. It has about 20k miles and zero problems. Only complaint is a weak A/C system.

2009 F150 4x4 SuperCab - I bought this last year to replace the Frontier. It now has around 40k miles and has been perfect except for a bad tire pressure sensor. It is a very roomy truck, get almost the same gas mileage as the Frontier (but is not as fast), hauls tremendous loads, etc., etc. No complaints, but I don't really think it is anything special. The ergonomics are poor (at least compared to the old F150 or my Fusion or even the Frontier). I think Ford is trying too hard to imitate the crappy look of Toyota dashes - lots of big poorly located knobs. Ford could probably learn a few good things from Toyota, but ergonomics is not one of them.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I would have to stop and think and write them down.I have owned a lot of vehicles before, all of them I bought secondhand. Currently, I own a 1914 Ford Model T Runabout Roadster car, a 1948 Willys Jeep, a 1978 Dodge Van, a 1983 Dodge van, and a 1976 made in Germany Hercules moped. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin
1980 to 2010 ---->>

  1. June 1980 bought my first car, a black 1973 Chevrolet Impala sedan, bought used for ,500.00 Junkyard hauled it away in Feb 1983 for .00

  2. 1968 Buick LeSabre Convertible, bought used for 0.00 Rear Quarters & Trunk badly rotted out. Sold in Sept 1986 for 0.00

  1. 1978 Oldsmobile Holiday 88 2 door. Bought Used for 99.00 Bought Aug 1986 with 89,000 miles. My new neighbor inherits the same car from a dead uncle with only 600 miles on it - neighbor still has the car in

2010. Mine gets Stolen Dec 1986, found in the ghetto - where else! I got it back 2 days later. Missing the 5 wheels, battery, trunk contents & radio. Rear brake drums fell off when towed to a repair shop.

Spent the next 2-3 years fixing theft related damage. Both front springs were broken 3 inches from the end of the pigtail ! The Frame was bent. During the battery removal it was dropped on the upper radiator hose and fractured the seal on the upper hose connector at the side tank. The transmission went out six months after I got the car back. Internal spline gear shattered from the result of doing neutral drops. But not from me..

A Ziebart removable Sunroof added in 1988. The landau roof I removed and had a body shop paint the roof the body color. Went to Disney World, Denver, CO and Myrtle Beach, SC in 1988. Record high of 29,000 miles that year. By Dec 1990 every other week $$$ had to be put into the car. I was begining to travel more out of state (Joined some clubs and got new friends who travel) so I decided to sell it and buy something more dependable. Sold my 88 to a trucker in April 1991 with 196,000 miles. At

225,000 Louie had to install another differential. I found my Oldsmobile 13 years later in a Chicago junkyard with 329,000 miles on the odometer. Painted on the quarter panel in yellow: " Motor junk ! Water in Oil". The floor pans front & rear were gone. rotted away due to a leak sunroof that was never fixed. Someone poured silicone sealer all over the seal. I Drove home to get the camera to take pictures of the car....The trucker moved to Wisconsin in 1992. So the car must of had a one or more owners after I sold it to Louie in 1991, somehow it got back down to Sweet Home Chicago, and it died back where it was originally from.

  1. On Monday, Feb 4, 1991 the famed 91 Bonneville LE was purchased with 6 miles on the odometer. This is my first new car. While I'm starting out life with a new car, sadly 2 are ending, while coming home from the Pontiac dealership with my new car, six blocks east from the dealer honeymooner's returning from Aruba are killed minutes before I pass through the same intersection. A car with 3 robbery suspects crashes into the honeymooners Monte Carlo killing them instantly. The robbers are unhurt (naturally ) & caught. Big write up in the paper the next morning. 2 of the robbers are out of jail in less than 2 years.

A long history ensues with the Bonneville. It takes me to places I've never been....Texas, Oklaholma,Salt Lake City, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, The Badlands...and I finally find out: Where The Hell Wall Drug is! Wall, SD. Other places included the biggest Mall of America, Lake of The Woods, Coney Island, Hershey Park, Pittsburgh, Ohio, The Jersey Shore and the Everglades. Who ever thought you could drive to Sydney, Austrailia?........ok I made that one up. Needless to say the car has been around.

2002 sees a whopping 34,000 miles by years end.

Labor Day 1995 hit 100,000, June 2001 saw 200,000 - 1/4 million miles in

2003 and 300,000 rolled over around January 2005. Around 304,000 mile the engine developes a knock. Plans are in the works to buy a new car before summer travels of 05'....but I have no idea what to buy.. In July 2008 the rear window seal seperated from the body, it was removed & the center section of the top was cut off. A trim shop made up a snap on boat cover and sewed in a plastic window. Driveable in the rain & winter. Car currenly running on only 5 cylinders - Possibly a bad cam.

Paint / clearcoat look bad, dull, haze cracks. The body is rusting and rotting out now : - ( On nice days, take the top off and it works well as a lumber truck hauing 4x8 sheets of plywood and 12 foot planks. The car gets a lot of looks and compliments.

  1. April 1996 bought car #5 (used) to help prolong the life of the Bonneville, a 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Z-24 convertible V6. Looked very sharp. Sold in June of 2000. The car developed into a problem child in about a year. You never knew if this car was going to run or not. Major body work escaped detection of my now trained eye. I also missed seeing the radiator pan bet and the condensor bowed in from being smashed. How did I miss seeing that?? The car was stored in the winters. It had
39,000 on it in 1996 sold it with 89,000 miles for $2500.00 Went out of state a few times with no problems. Went to Wisconsin Dells and as far away as North Tonanwanda, NY, and the Pocono's in PA.

  1. Car # 6 - 2005 Buick Park Avenue, a used rental car buy back from Alamo in Boca Raton Florida to a Buick Caddy dealership in Hodgkins, IL, where my main mechanic works. It has 13,000 miles. Just turned over

100,000 last week with the original spark plugs & Dex Cool in it.....LOL.

While looking at the Buick I was looking closely at a 2003 Lincoln Towncar with 30,000 miles. It was priced $4000 less than the Buick... But one day when I went back to look at the Lincon I found the body shops masking tape over the round back up sensors in the rear bumper - which had been painted over, so the car must of gotten hit in the rear. Some trace evidence on the quarters meant they were partially painted too. Lucky it caught my eye that day ...BIG AL, My parts guy @ Chevy run the vin # on the Lincoln. It turned out to be a California emissions car. Several mechanic friends warned against buying it for that reason alone....hello Buick, wanna be my friend for the next 20 years?

As you can see by my signature I still have # 4 & 6 and the mileage is going up.

harryface

91 Bonneville 322,596 05 Park Avenue 100,234
Reply to
Harry Face

Interesting thread...

For me, starting in 1964...

1962 Renault Dauphine (given to me by my dad) 1959 VW bug (first car I bought, in 1967) 196? Honda S90 1955 Mercedes 190SL (engine in a basket, literally) 1971 Honda CB350 (bought new) 1964 Dodge Dart (came with wife...1974) 1974 Chevy pickup 1968 BMW 2002 1976 Ford E150 (traded in Chevy pickup) 1980 Volvo sedan, diesel (traded BMW) 1981 Ford Cortina (leased when we lived in Scotland) 1980 Ford Fairmont wagon (when we returned to States) 1984 Ford Sierra (leased when we lived in Switzerland) 1986 Ford Taurus wagon (when we returned to States) 1967 BMW 1600 1991 Ford Aerostar (traded Taurus) 1993 Ford Ranger (traded E150) 1993 Ford Aerostar (traded 91 Aerostar) 1998 Chevy Astro (traded 93 Aerostar) 1999 Mazda Protege (kid's car) 2003 Mazda Protege (another's kid car) 2003 Mazda Protege (replaced other 2003 that was totaled) 2004 Ford Taurus 2007 Chevy Cobalt (kid's car, traded 99 Protege) 1990 Toyota Corolla (inherited from MIL) 2008 Honda CR-V (traded 98 Astro) 2008 Ford F250 Diesel (to pull our fifth wheel)

Jeez...I can't believe we've had that many cars.

I still have the CR-V, F250, Cobalt, 04 Protege, 04 Taurus, and 93 Ranger. The others were sold or traded along the way. The Ranger and Taurus are for sale, or soon will be. I have no idea of TCO...I'd probably rather no know. I don't recall any major problems with any of them after the 74 Chevy and it wasn't bad, just got terrible mileage. The 91 Aerostar puked its tranny at about 9k miles but it was fixed under warranty.

Reply to
MM

You done good. This is rough but accurate enough. Tried to overestimate costs by about 25%. TCO is cost of car and all repairs only. But I did a lot the repairs myself and didn't add my time. Rebuilt the engines on the Bug and F-100 for example. Never got stranded due to a breakdown, but had 3 tows to a local shop. ECU failed on the Celebrity, and ignition switch on the Corsica. Primary ignition wire shorted on the Dart, my fault. All bought used. Most were a good deal, some were pure blue book. No idea about miles put on, except the Celebrity, which I put +150k miles on, and I've put 50k miles on the Lumina so far. Probably averaged about 15k miles a year on them, but some were purely commuter cars, while others took long or cross-country trips. After '73 usually had 2 cars at once, and had to have cars suitable for hauling family on vacation.

All were running when junked, but I didn't feel right selling them due to rust, so I disabled them before calling the boneyard tow truck. Except when totaled or sold, rust put them to bed. Car, Approx years owned, approx TCO. Final disposition. TCO includes sales recoup when sold and insurance payment on the Skylark. Had wheels since 1967.

'61 Pontiac Ventura (3, $1000) totaled '64 Olds Holiday 88 (3, $600) sold '64 Bug (5, $1800) junked '67 VW Squareback (3, $600) sold '66 Ford F-100 (7, $2000) bartered '68 Skylark (2, $200) totaled '71 Chevy Malibu (2, $1000) junked '74 Dart Swinger (5, $800) sold '76 Impala (5, $1500) gave away '78 Beaueville Van (8, $4000) junked '85 Cavalier (5, $1500) junked '88 Celebrity (10,$8000) junked '88 Beretta (5, $1500) junked '90 Corsica (12,$3200) junked '93 Grand Am (6, $4000) current '97 Lumina Sedan (5, $3200) current

Favorite - Celebrity by a mile.

Least Favorite and Not Worth Talking About - Malibu. Fastest off the line with 307, but tinny and burned a valve. Hated it.

Most Troublesome - VW Squareback. Hated it. Fastest Rusting - Bug, Dart, Impala, Cavalier Slowest Rusting - Corsica (Surprise!) F-100 was good except tailgate. First with A/C - Impala Car I Never Felt Was A Real Car - Dart Cars I felt Were Cheap Ass Cars - Malibu, Beretta. Prettiest Car - '64 Holiday 88 Ugliest Car - '71 Malibu Most Fun, Easiest to Work On - Bug, F-100. Best Highway MPG - Corsica (32), Celebrity, Lumina (30) Worst Highway MPG - Beauville, F-100 (15-18)

Biggest Percentage of Shop Repairs in TCO - Squareback (synchros), Corsica (struts) , Impala (trans)

Biggest Percentage of my time in repairs - Bug, Squareback, F-100, Beauville.

Most Disappointing Single Flaw - Celebrity paint peeling.

Second and Third Most Disappointing Flaws - Lumina paint peeling, and driver's seat collapse at door side.

Best sounding - F-100 352. Worst Sounding - Cavalier 2.0, Corsica 2.2. Dogs Off The Line - Cavalier, Corsica, both VW's, Dart

Most Quiet, Comfortable Road Cars - Celebrity 2.8, Lumina 3.1, Impala

350.

Best Take Wife and 5 Kids Cross-Country - Beauville, hands down. Best Disposable Grocery Getter - Corsica. Cars I Was Sad to Part With - Skylark, Celebrity, Corisca.

Car I Almost Forgot - Skylark, which was a great car for the short time I had it.. Best tracking suspension on any car I've had. You could drive hundreds of miles without touching the steering wheel by adjusting speed to highway grade. Not that I did it that, but I noticed it and did it for miles at a time. The small V-8, 300 I think, got decent mileage. Got 50 bucks less than I paid for it from insurance when a kid totaled it while it was parked. I was at a party at a friend's and we heard a loud "CRASH" outside. Had to chase him a couple blocks to his house, but his dad was cool about it and had his insurance take care of it. Still drivable but the back was destroyed. I put a rebuilt 2bbl on it when it started running rough. Cost $25 for the carb. Dropped a wrench which holed the radiator so paid about $25 for a new rad. Lost a gear on the trans and had a shop rebuild the trans for $125. That was about 1975. Man, repair costs have really skyrocketed.

Anyway, I've had mostly good luck with cars, and spent little money on them. I have an ear and feel for them, and do some homework. But luck enters in too. The Celebrity was my favorite and most trouble-free, but I paid the most for it. First six cylinder except for the Dart.

2 1/2 years old with 30k miles and cherry.

Nice having a "new" car. But I'm one of those guys Mike Hunt mocks about buying hand-me-downs. And that, my friends, when you add things up, allowed me to retire at

59 1/2. Sorry if that's "bad for the economy." It's been real good for mine. Never been jealous about others buying new cars. If I felt like doing that, I would. But I started out young with an aversion to debt and depreciation and that never left me.

I might buy a brand new car for my wife before I kick off. I think women really like having a brand new car. But I got a feeling she'd be happier with just a nice one a few years old and pocket the difference to spend on stained glass lamps, jewelry or a vacation. She's pretty level-headed. Not counting lamps and jewelry. Except for a very short period when I rented a car for one vacation, I've always had a good road car I could jump into and take off cross-country. Of course when I was young and single the Bug qualified. Wouldn't now.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith