How much to V belts stretch?!!

Had the alternator and belts replaced on my 2000 Mazda Protege ES.

I took it back once cause belts started squealing bad under the slightest load....so they tightened up.

Now they are squealing just as bad!

Does it take several adjustments on new belts? Or is something wrong here?

Reply to
me

No, it doesn't take several adjustments.

Sounds like whoever is doing the work does not own/use a belt tension gauge.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Or they used some CHEAP belts...

Reply to
Steve W.

Be sure you have the proper size belt (width) if too narrow this is the problem. Been there done that. WW

Reply to
WW

Or there's some other cause, and they're just tightening the belts and crossing their fingers.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Dirty pulleys will also cause squealing.

Reply to
m6onz5a

My guess is that you have some oil on the belt or that your belts aren't quite the right size. It may be that the belts are selected by the shop for a close but maybe not an exact fit to reduce the amount of belts needed as inventory.

If you have oil on the belt, find the source of the leak and fix it. Otherwise, verify that there's nothing wrong with the belt and tighten it. If it has been adjusted to the tensioner's limit of travel, you'll have to replace the belt.

I like to adjust my belts as loosely as I can because I think it's easier on the bearings. This is not practical for a repair shop that should adjust to specs.

Reply to
dsi1

No. But what you do need to be aware of is that the alternator/water pump belt on the 1.8l engine needs to be run rather tight. If you don't get it tight enough, the alternator will squeal like crazy. More than likely, that is the belt that is causing your trouble. If you have the 1.8l BP engine, that is where I would start troubleshooting. With a cold engine, start it and run it for a few seconds until the belt starts making noise. Then shut it down. Pop the hood and stick your hand down by the alternator. If the alternator pulley is hot, you just found your problem.

Depending on how long you drove it after it started making noise the first time, you might have glazed the new belt over, in which case the only fix is to replace the belt again and properly tension it. The shop you had service the car should warranty the work if they are reputable.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Thanks

yes it is squealing like CRAZY again now

I'm going back to mechanic and question his use of proper belt..... or the quality of belt

I've had it tightened once already which I know is normal..... but have never had a problem of multiple tightening's weird

Reply to
me

If you can lay a straight edge against the two pullys, you can check to see if they are in alignment.If something isn't dripping onto one or more pulleys or the v belt, might be something wrong with the v belt.Could be the v belt is the wrong size/length.V belts grip along the sides, not on the bottom.Get enough miles/wear and tear on them and they will stretch. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Thanks will do that as soon as damn weather warms up!! Sleeting right now

Reply to
me

Electronic wireless temperature sensor in my flower box on my front porch said it got up to 70 degrees this afternoon.It is 65 degrees out there right now, loads of bright Sunshine too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Lucky you!

Enjoy

Reply to
me

Tomorrow, I am driving my big old 1983 Dodge van to a shop for two new mufflers and new tail pipe.Those exhaust fumes are killing me!

When my v belts get loose, I get a few of my old pawn shop tools and I tighten up those v belts myself. Old rule of thumb ''Trick'' is, if you mash down kind of hard on the v belt with your thumb, and if the v belt pushes down more than half an inch, (or is it an inch? I forget) the v belt should be tightend up a little bit.Some auto parts stores sell v belt dressing stuff for squealing v belts.

57 degrees out there in my flower box on my front porch right now.74 degrees inside of my house. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin

where you live?

Reply to
me
73 degrees in my front porch flower box right now, 76 degrees in my house.I need to turn the heat down. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin