how much will carmax pay?

there is a carmax near where I live. it's about a 40 minute drive but I was considering taking my car there and having it appraised but I am not sure it would be worth my time. Do they give you near what the kbb private party price is or do they only give trade in value, which is about half what the private party price is?

If anyone has any experience with their service, I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
roger

oops a little off topic, sorry about that. but to get it back on topic, they seem to do a pretty thorough inspection so if you can get some feedback concerning what they determine the condition of the car is, it's like a free inspection that otherwise you'd pay good money for, I guess.

my lame attempt at getting it back on topic!

Reply to
roger

They offered $4000 for a car I stuck in the classifieds and sold 3 days later for $6200.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Reply to
Frank Knight

Dealer wanted to give me $10,00 trade for a 2003 Malibu LS, Carmax gave me $11,500. Private party was around $13,100 and retail was around $14,250. They listed it on their web site a few days later for $14,500. It was like new clean, no dimples or scratches, with under 5K miles on it. That was a fair price to dispose of the car easily and painlessly...no hassles.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The offer to me was contingent upon me providing two sets of keys and two sets of remotes. Call first to get this clarified or be sure to have them if you intend to sell immediately.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

| > If anyone has any experience with their service, I'd appreciate it. | | The offer to me was contingent upon me providing two sets of keys and two sets | of remotes. Call first to get this clarified or be sure to have them if you | intend to sell immediately. | |

True, I had to provide two keys/remotes also. Probably because those keys with the chip in them can be $50.00-$75.00, not sure about the cost for remotes.

Reply to
James C. Reeves