How to buy tires for your car (letter to a friend asking for advice)

Ask a good mechanic who he has do his car.

Pick the chain store that has their own race car team over the one that doesn't.

See what happens when you offer the man a $20 tip to use a torque wrench instead of the sticks. If he isn't sure how to use it, go elsewhere.

Don't ever, ever let them do an alignment unless there are clear and obvious signs of an alignment problem. If you absolutely need an alignment, find some race car guys and ask whem who the guy in town that does good alignment work is.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Go to Kraus Tires in Castro Valley. Brandon Kraus is THE GUY for alignment work in Northern California. I would trust those guys 100% with anything under there.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

But that's the Midas way, or should I say, the Midas Touch!

I've avoided going to Midas the past 25 years because of their shady practices. Friends don't let friends go to Midas.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Lawrence

I don't know. I was at my favorite gas station/ repair shop, watching truck getting towed in. Fender damage, wheel off. Finally heard the woman was crossing a bridge, and tire came of. Just came from NTB.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

A friend asked me how to buy tires for her daughter - and I wrote this up to email to her.

How does it look (do you have better ideas for a basic college kid's car)?

Here's what I just wrote up for her:

  1. Write down the current tires on the vehicle & compare with what the vehicle came with as stock.

  1. Go to the Tirerack web site and list all available tires for that size & load rating and type (e.g., mud and snow, all weather, etc.).

  2. Order the cheapest tires with the best ratings for traction you can find. Use temperature and treadewear ratings as tie breakers. Never ever buy anything, least of all tires, based on the warranty - but if all else is otherwise exactly equal, then use the (otherwise nearly useless) warranty as your tie breaker only. And never buy based on manufacturer's speed ratings - although, as always, feel free to use them as a tie breaker.

  1. You can read the reviews - but they'll be nearly useless in the end (but read them, by all means - there's no telling what you'll find out).

  2. When ordering, choose the option to send them to the installer of choice, and pick the CHEAPEST local installer by overall price (it should cost roughly about per tire for mounting & balancing but many have additional fees so that's total price, including tire disposal fee, new valve, balancing, and mounting).

  1. You'll find the shipping is about per tire, so basically the final price will be the sales price plus for shipping & balancing.

  2. If you want, you can skip the ordering and just print the prices and visit any local tire shop and ask if they'll match those prices. Make sure you print the installation costs also to ensure they match both.

  1. Depending on how your old tires wore, you may want to have the car aligned when the new tires are put on.

You can expect tires to cost roughly around $100, plus $15 shipping, plus $15 for installation, for a total of about $520 for a set of four.

If your friend needs this much advice, skip Tire Rack and find a reputable dealer.

Reply to
MG

Tell her to take the car to Discount Tire NTB and tell them the car needs tires and to put them on. Problem solved fast and easy.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Only if you don't care whether you got the best value for your money or not.

Personally I support the OP's seeming obsession with getting good tires, as they are literally the most important component of a motor vehicle (save the driver) when it comes to safety.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

eh? they're important, but not as important as working brakes - if you have crappy tires, you can "slow down". [i know, bizarre concept for someone who purports to be an engineer to think of contemplating.]

Reply to
jim beam

Sadly now, Gresham's Law regarding tire vendors:

My only tire source for many years. Nice guy, rides a Bianchi bicycle.

Reply to
AMuzi

I can slow down without any brakes at all. Not well, but better than I can with good brakes but bald tires (assuming rain or snow.)

I'd put brakes right up there below driver and tires on the list of "things that are really, really important" though.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

She didn't ask ... but ...

For brakes, if she did ask, I'd tell her to ask the dealer what the original cold:hot friction codes were and to get nothing lower but get the lowest cost pads that MEET (or exceed) those friction ratings (which are, by law, printed on all pads & shoes).

For example, if the original friction ratings were FF in the rear and GG in the front, then THAT is all she needs to buy the least expensive brake pads that meet (or exceed) the original equipment.

I would tell her to forget all about "ceramic" vs "metallic" and every variation in between. I would also tell her, as always, to use warranty ONLY as a tie breaker, and specifically NEVER as a feature.

For pads, the goal is to meet the manufacturer's friction rating at the lowest possible price.

About the only other thing I'd warn her about is 'dusting' for certain vehicles, where the color of the dust is objectionable (e.g., BMW OEM FF Jurid front pads dust an objectionable color whereas aftermarket Axxis PBR pads dust a less objectionable color), but, that is probably something I wouldn't even bring up unless she had fancy wheels.

What else (other than friction ratings) would you recommend we tell a mother when purchasing brake pads?

Reply to
Joe Mastroianni

Well, dust is a concern to me, but I in fact *do* drive a BMW :) This past year not only had to clean up the stock wheels, but the used ones I bought for a winter set as well, what a miserable task. (and the outsides of the wheels were nice; I just think that open-pattern wheels should have the barrels cleaned and waxed as well.)

Personally I tend to drive cars that have a good enthusiast following, so getting opinions on brake pads for my vehicles is as easy as subscribing to the appropriate forum.

FWIW I really like the Centric Premium rotors as they work just like a good rotor should, *and* have the cool e-coating that keeps them from turning into a rusty mess. I have less nice things to say about the Performance Friction pads that I bought for my Jeep; I tried to save some money but I should have popped for Black Magic or EBC (at 3x the price though...) they're probably OK on vehicles that don't have marginal brakes to begin with, but still.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

what a typically retarded statement. as only possible from the retard that never drives with passengers, never drives on hills and never in the city.

yup, just like you always operate mouth before engaging brain. or at least you would if you had a brain.

Reply to
jim beam

I am hard on tires, they only last 35k-40k miles. The only tires that have ever gone bad were ones I myself destroyed by running over stuff at construction sites and curbs. I am not going to go faster than about 85 mph in my Kia so I'm not concerned about ratings.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I get the cheapest American made brand at O'Reillys Pep Zone and put them on myself. Fronts last 35k miles. I don't intend on racing my 06 Kia Spectra so don't care about friction coeffs.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Fascinating!

Which vehicles have you found with marginal brakes...?! -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Meh? It's perfectly easy - double clutch, select lower gear, use e-brake to come to a full stop if necessary.

Now only an idiot would knowingly set off on a trip without good brakes

- but to say that you can't slow down without them is equally idiotic.

We're talking about you again, aren't we?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Jeep Cherokee for one; the brakes require higher-than-normal pedal pressure for people driving sanely in normal traffic and with no modifications. It's pretty well known that once larger/heavier wheels and tires are installed that brakes are the next upgrade that the owner finds is needed.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What is the source of your data?

What is "normal" brake pedal pressure?

At what pedal pressure point are they rendered "marginal"?

Let me just thank you for not explaining how good rotors work... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I think Centric is a rebrander - so, if I'm correct, there is no such thing (so to speak) as Centric rotors or pads.

Of course, to be clear, Centric brands them as such, so they will "say" Centric, but they are something else as Centric doesn't make them.

Just my two cents (which I believe to be true).

Reply to
Joe Mastroianni