How to buy tires for your car (letter to a friend asking for advice)

i know what some manufacturers say to do - the question was whether it's worth it. michelin, who are no slouches, don't think it is. either that or they've perfected perfectly balanced tires - which they haven't.

Reply to
jim beam

The Bentley manual says the rear rotor limit is 0.720 inches, and the front is 0.800 inches for my model BMW, and I generally am only a few thousandths above that by the time the Jurid/Textar or Akebono/Axxis/PBR pads are worn to about 1mm (which is their wear limit).

So, I do agree.

It's close to the minimum spec on a single set of pads.

Reply to
Joe Mastroianni

I don't know.

But if it saves an ounce of lead, isn't it worth it?

Reply to
Joe Mastroianni

you have a point, but i'd rather tire manufacturers focused on making product that didn't need as much of it in the first place. i have 4 michelin pilots on one car - the largest weight on one tire is 1oz. all the rest are either zero or 1/4oz.

Reply to
jim beam

Given how obsessive electronics manufacturers are about keeping milligrams of lead out of their products (ROHS standards), it's not surprising the virus is spreading to other industries.

Reply to
Paul D. DeRocco

Here is what I think the pros and cons of mounting tires is. (BMW even puts a match mounting dot on all its wheels for this.)

CON:

  1. Takes an extra few seconds for the tire mounter to mount
  2. Any other cons?

PRO:

  1. Saves a bit of lead per tire (for a zillion tires)
  2. If that lead falls off the wheel, the result will be 'less' unbalanced
  3. Any other pros?
Reply to
Joe Mastroianni

how about making better wheels that don't need balancing? how about making better tires that don't need [as much] balancing?

bmw evidently haven't considered using michelin tires.

Reply to
jim beam