How to get rid of battery corrosion forever?

Hi

I own a 97 Ford escort and recently put a new battery in it.The guy at auto zone cleaned the battery terminal for me which was corroded.He told me to buy some wire brush and clean them good at home.I did but every 3 weeks the corrosion is back. What is a sure way of getting rid of the problem?

Thanks to all

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

Approximately 10/5/03 13:12, Patrick uttered for posterity:

? Is there some sort of leak in the new battery near the terminals, or you alternator overcharging?

First clean the battery and terminals with both the wire brush and a bit of baking soda, then clean thoroughly with water.

I have had somewhat luck with that little set of green and red felt rings that go on the battery posts under the terminal clamps. Available at most auto parts houses.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I coat the battery terminals in grease after they clamped the the battery. That does a good job at controling corrosion.

Reply to
Brent P

Silicone grease does work. If the terminals are leaking you can coat the crack with permatex.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

Hi

I don't have any leaks in the new battery, the problem started with the old battery and is still there with the new battery. Vaseline, grease and baking soda.Thanks for all the good tips guys.I am sure it will be gone forever after i try one or two of these tricks.

Regards

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

I remember eating that in the school cafeteria? :(

I removed the clamps and scrubbed them all over with baking soda. Then I took them apart and scrubbed out every trace of grease with soap and finally brake cleaner to dry them off. I coat everything with grease before reassembly so that no surface is left uncoated. Originally I tried Vaseline, but it melted and looked like it would drip into the battery, so I switched to hi-temp grease, specifically Sta-lube disk brake grease labelled "alumina complex." This kind of grease doesn't run at all, nor does its oil seem to separate out, and I recently learned that it's super waterproof. I coat the battery terminals similarly before reattaching the clamps. I was told that the film of grease would be pierced by the metal and wouldn't impede the flow of electricity, and this seems to be true because I barely measured any voltage drop between the terminal and clamp during cranking.

Reply to
larrymoencurly