Hub Caps Fit?

Would some old factory hubcaps that came on 14" wheels, fit 15" wheels? They are the old fashioned pop-on type.

Reply to
sctvguy1

Only a dog dish style hub cap might. And that's a pretty big might.

Reply to
Brent

the odds are against you, but it can't hurt to try.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Do you mean wheel covers? No. You don't even need to measure, just hold the thing up to your wheel.

Reply to
AMuzi

Do you mean real hub caps, e.g. dog dishes, or full wheel covers?

If the former then maybe, if the two wheels are of the same era and from the same manufacturer. If the latter, really doubtful.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'm sure he meant wheel covers. Most people say hubcaps

Reply to
m6onz5a

No, they would not. Just go to Walmart and pick up a 15" set of wheel covers for $30. If you actually need hubcaps, get them from eBay. You have to specify the correct model year and style.

Reply to
dsi1

Yes, they are the old dog dish type, American Motors script hubcaps, like on Adam 12. The wheels are standard 14x5

Reply to
sctvguy1

No, they are the old style dog dish, American Motors script hubcaps, like on Adam 12. The wheels are standard 14x5.

Reply to
sctvguy1

If you're putting them on AMC wheels, they might work.

I know Ford used a different diameter from Chevy for their dog dishes, so hubcaps from one wouldn't fit on the other. Not sure where MoPar fit into the whole madness, or if AMC used any of their standards or their own. I know for a fact that Studebaker dog dishes won't fit MoPar wheels; I was kind of hoping they would. (wanted to keep 53-55 Studebaker style hubcaps on MoPar cop car wheels for a nice hot rod look. I could have cut slots in the wheels and used clips, but I had other stuff to work on, I just used the MoPar hubcaps.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

m6onz5a wrote: "- show quoted text - I'm sure he meant wheel covers. Most people say hubcaps"

And they're wrong. The terms are not interchangeable.

Hubcaps/"dog dishes": Cover area over lugnuts. See most police cars(Vics & older Caprices if still in service).

Wheel covers: Cover entire rim and most grant direct access to lugnuts.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

. We even have a Hubcap Heaven in our area. 95% of their stock is wheel covers.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Google,,, History of Hubcaps There is a Hubcap Heaven & Wheels store about four miles East of me.

Reply to
JR

fact:

a $20 set of plastic wheel covers from Wal-Mart adds $100 to the value of any POS used car.

(Especially Buicks....whose missing factory wheel covers are $400 each.)

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Some!